free website stats program Exhaust Question HELP!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Question HELP!!!!

Wouldn't that be the cat area while Tbones mentioned the "Y" pipe found on older baggers?

The Dynas and Sportsters have a small cross over tube from the front exhaust to the rear. The Sportsters are incorporated into the mufflers while the Dynas are in the head pipe down low before the mufflers:s

I looked everything over real well. Did not remove the heat shield but got under there with a flash light and see no cracks in the crossover. All connections seem to be tight. Start it up......listen and feel where the header connects to the cylinders and no escaping exhaust there.....no escaping exhause near crossover as far as I can see.

I'll probably stop by the dealer anyway to ahve em check it out. Will a crack in the crossover hurt the motor if I drive a couple of days on it?

I looked everything over real well. Did not remove the heat shield but got under there with a flash light and see no cracks in the crossover. All connections seem to be tight. Start it up......listen and feel where the header connects to the cylinders and no escaping exhaust there.....no escaping exhause near crossover as far as I can see.

I'll probably stop by the dealer anyway to ahve em check it out. Will a crack in the crossover hurt the motor if I drive a couple of days on it?

Nah in the long run, if it was at the head that would be a bad thing it could suck in cooler air and be bad for the exhaust valve and seat

Thanks for all the advice everyone.....that is why I like this site so much. For a guy like myself that is just getting started in the HD world you can't put a velue on the knowledge here!

Anyway I'll run it by the dealer some day after work this week and se what they say but I think they will say all is good. Can't feel or hear any leaks at all......like I said....the exhaust tone just seems more throaty over the last couple of weeks.

On a side note, from the 10 models up, HD put the cat up in the head pipe instead of in the mufflers. When you can afford it, it would be a good idea to put on a new set of exhaust to get rid of the cat converter. Just putting slip-ons won't help with the heat with this model, until the converters are gone.

More than likely you pipes are now broken in---every bike I have owned sounds better after some miles. The baffle burns a little bit and allows some sound to come through. This was true on my Super Glide and both Ultras I have owned!!

More than likely you pipes are now broken in---every bike I have owned sounds better after some miles. The baffle burns a little bit and allows some sound to come through. This was true on my Super Glide and both Ultras I have owned!!

Thanks for the intel on this! A couple of folks replied that the tone gets better with some miles. I'll keep riding and just have the techs give the bike a full look over next time it is in for service.......planning on riding down to DC for the Rolling Thunder rally in May and will get it in for inspection prior anyway! Thanks again.

Back