free website stats program Exhaust Question HELP!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Question HELP!!!!

whacko

I have a 2010 super glide custom. 8,000 on the clock. Been out a few times with her this season and noticed this week quite a rumble from the pipes that I don't think it sounded like before. Don't get me wrong.....I like the sound but it is the stock exhause system and I am thinking something may be wrong. A buddy told me it may be a problem with the baffles because I don't see or hear any exhaust leaks near the motor or anywhere. Guys I don't know the slightest thing about the machanics and that is why I love this site.....plenty of knowledge and skill out there to draw from. My question is do you think there could be a problem with the baffles with only 8k on the clock and if so will it hurt the motor? It is under warranty of course but will I look stupid bringing the bike in cuz it got louder?!?!?!?

Best bet is to check the header bolts where it joins on to the cylinders. They have been known to loosen up.
Also check all the connections and the bolts on the clamps too.

Some times the system shifts a bit and can be touching a part of the bike and that will make some new noises as well.

I guess it depends on what you mean by a "rumble."

Have you checked and tightened all the clamps and fasteners from front to rear?

Makes sense.....the last couple of times I checked it the motor was hot and I could not really grab anything to see if it was loose. I plan to wash her off today so I'll check the clamps and bolts today befrore going out for a ride.

The rumble I am describing is simply a louder exhaust note coming from the rear of the bike.

The stock systems do get a bit more throaty as the miles increase. A bad baffle inside the muffler will usually sound like a tinny rattle.

The stock systems do get a bit more throaty as the miles increase. A bad baffle inside the muffler will usually sound like a tinny rattle.

There is not tinny rattle......bike actually sounds BETTER! Which I suppose is wierd that I'm worried about it! I'll check the clamps and bolts today if there is nothing loose I'll just keep riding it.

The word "throaty" is exactly how I would describe what I'm hearing. Glider.....why would the bike get more tone from the exhaust after a few miles? I am just curious.

Take off your rear heat shield and look closely at the cross over pipe. Look at the "Y" real good, if it is cracked, you will get an increase in exhaust note. The stock cross overs are prone to cracking at the "Y". Also, check where the pipe strap is above the starter motor, it's been known to crack there too.

This is a super glide:s

Good point in any case.

This is a super glide:s

Good point in any case.

The new motors do have the cross over it is down low on the pipes and a poor seal IMO check that joint, better yet take it in under warranty. If you check the header nuts, I would replace them with lock washers and new nuts. The self locking nuts the MOCO uses have been known to back off. Torque the new nuts @ 10 ft lbs

The new motors do have the cross over it is down low on the pipes and a poor seal IMO check that joint, better yet take it in under warranty. If you check the header nuts, I would replace them with lock washers and new nuts. The self locking nuts the MOCO uses have been known to back off. Torque the new nuts @ 10 ft lbs

Wouldn't that be the cat area while Tbones mentioned the "Y" pipe found on older baggers?

Back