free website stats program Exhaust design on Touring models | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust design on Touring models

Johan

I would like to know why HD designed the exhaust on the rear cylinder as it is?:bigsmiley31:
I know a signle pipe is better(possibly with balancing pipe)

To it differantly: Is there any benefit in the current design of the exhaust on the rear cylinder?

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason for the design on the harley pipes is to aid in the scavenging of the rear cylinder. Just as a 2 into 1 works better than a set of 2 into 2 slipons, the bagger type design will evacuate the rear cylinder better. It gives you a better flow than the two in to two which helps with torque.

Hey Glider,

Hey let me ask you this. My friend has a set of slip ons that he is giving me. Not sure what they are, but just slip ons. I don't have a PCIII or anything like that, it is just stock. Would I have to change or modify anything on the bike to use his slip ons?

Man I am getting great gas milage from this 05 EG Standard, I surly don't want to mess that up.:reyes

Glider,
Thanks for the info.
I still don't understand why they did not take the main pipe to the left hand side with the connection pipe to the right. It would be more effective to clear the cylinder than the current configuration!

Glider,
Thanks for the info.
I still don't understand why they did not take the main pipe to the left hand side with the connection pipe to the right. It would be more effective to clear the cylinder than the current configuration!

As interesting on my 08 Ultra, The left side muffler is heavier and very restricted as opposed to the right side forcing most of the exhaust out the right side. Or,:bigsmiley6: , Is this just my imagination?

As interesting on my 08 Ultra, The left side muffler is heavier and very restricted as opposed to the right side forcing most of the exhaust out the right side. Or,:bigsmiley6: , Is this just my imagination?

Not your imagination at all. That was the intention.

Hard to say without knowing what slip on's they are. They could be stock mufflers.

Hey Glider,

I found out what kind of slip ons they are. They are called Pigs. I think his said Wild Pigs Exhaust pipes. I heard them before, and they really sound good. I would like to put some on mine. Would I have to do anything else? Would have to change something on the engine in order to run with these slip ons?

Thanks

Those are freer flowing mufflers than the stock ones. You would be best to add some additional fuel with them just to be on the safe side.

I have Wild Pigs on my Road King... You should definitely get either a PCIII or DFO to add fuel or you will run even leaner, Might as well add a free flow Air Cleaner while your at it....

Back