free website stats program Exhaust baffle is baffling me.... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust baffle is baffling me....

Not to be redundant but your problem does sound like fuel contamination. Not knowing the condition of the tank interior, it may be worthwhile not to flush the tank but remove it and clean it either chemically or mechanically and go from there. I would advise staying away from the tank coatings as another source of a problem down the road.

If it were me doing the job, I would do as mentioned above with cleaning the tank and follow through with a thorough cleaning of the petcock ,fuel lines,and carb again after doing the tank. This way you eliminate the source of the problem thereby eliminating the problem itself.

PS Your low jet is too small.:s

But if I just clean the tank by whatever means without a protective coating won't it just come back ?

Not if there's gas in it and the bike is ridden.

I liked to fill up on the way back from a ride so it sits with pretty much a full tank and never had a problem on any bike with the tank rusting etc.

If you are concerned about the rust returning, you can use an ounce of marvel Mystery oil in each fill up. It's good for the rest of the system too.

just ordered the "red kote" tank clean/coat pkg. will report towards the end of the week. Thanks for all the help.

Just got the bike back together. There is no trash in the system from the tank to the float bowl...squeaky clean. Hey Glider, I didn't use the tank coating kit as the tank was pretty much spotless. Rode the bike that evening to the local watering hole and the problem is still there. Had to keep it at 60mph. anything above that brought the condition back. The shop I've been having work on it told me to drop it on Tuesday and they would double check things, no charge. Anyone wanting a "red-kote" tank cleaning kit, pm me. Complete kit from prep to coating. $45 plus shipping.

There's more than one thing that can cause the problems you are having. To me it sounds like the main jet metering in the carb based on what you posted. Have you checked the integrity of the main jet itself and also the needle on the slide as a cause of a problem. The main jet has been known to loosen up and cause a fueling problem .

There's more than one thing that can cause the problems you are having. To me it sounds like the main jet metering in the carb based on what you posted. Have you checked the integrity of the main jet itself and also the needle on the slide as a cause of a problem. The main jet has been known to loosen up and cause a fueling problem .

I ALSO wondered that direction... IF you did a replace of the long Emulsion tube for a short one???? I've see this happen....

then the Main jet May be UP too high from the bottom of the float bowl.. Caused by using MIXED (wrong)parts that Are Not for that stock carb.. (dyno kit jets mixed)

Hence Running out of gas in the bowl even though float it is set right........ that is a very slim chance but I had to mention it..

there is a proper distance for the main jet to be down into the bowl.. too high(wrong parts) and it would do exactly as you say RUN out of Gas..

Just added thoughts

signed....BUBBIE

Murf,
I would even go as far right now to say IF you tried a different stock carb the bike would run great.. Borrow your buddies....Hahahaha he won't miss it.

Just from all that has been tried here..:s

signed....BUBBIE

I recently removed my factory baffles from my screaming eagle mufflers. I then installed splitters/lollipops to regain some torque. I put the lollipops in perpendicular to the muffler.
I also had the Keihin CV carb rebuilt and the tank flushed 3 times due to trash in the tank. This bike sat mostly ( 1600miles in last 6 yrs. prior to my getting it last March. I have put 5k on it this past year. I was told that my cam sensor was fried and got a new ign. system installed without a cam sensor. The bike runs great since this work was done and I know the shop that did the work and they are good tech's.
I now get a spit/sputter condition at hwy speeds only ( 55-75 ) when I am putting a demand on the engine. It begins with a noticable feeling of just hitting a strong headwind ( engine running same but a noticable slowing of bike ) then the spit/sputter begins to the point of stalling. If I slow down it will clear up. Doesn't seem to have any bearing on level of gas in tank. Could the lollipops be causing the exhaust pulses to back up to the heads and create a intake/exhaust issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks folks.

Murf FWIW the next time it happens open your tank cap. If you hear it sucking, and it clears up, you have a venting problem which can give you the same symptoms your describing.[/

Back