free website stats program Exhaust baffle is baffling me.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust baffle is baffling me....

murf

I recently removed my factory baffles from my screaming eagle mufflers. I then installed splitters/lollipops to regain some torque. I put the lollipops in perpendicular to the muffler.
I also had the Keihin CV carb rebuilt and the tank flushed 3 times due to trash in the tank. This bike sat mostly ( 1600miles in last 6 yrs. prior to my getting it last March. I have put 5k on it this past year. I was told that my cam sensor was fried and got a new ign. system installed without a cam sensor. The bike runs great since this work was done and I know the shop that did the work and they are good tech's.
I now get a spit/sputter condition at hwy speeds only ( 55-75 ) when I am putting a demand on the engine. It begins with a noticable feeling of just hitting a strong headwind ( engine running same but a noticable slowing of bike ) then the spit/sputter begins to the point of stalling. If I slow down it will clear up. Doesn't seem to have any bearing on level of gas in tank. Could the lollipops be causing the exhaust pulses to back up to the heads and create a intake/exhaust issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks folks.

Last edited:
Your problem sounds as if it could be a jetting problem running a lean condition at that speed. The various fuel metering systems in the carb must work together during the transition period in order to get smooth acceleration and running at speeds.

Without knowing more about the jetting you have I would suggest a 46 low jet and if you are running the stock main jet needle, raise it up with 2 -#4 washers.

Lollipops aren't a cure for everything. Try the baffles back in the mufflers and see if the problem persists.

Wonder IF you pull the enricher out when it is trying to gain speed right on the spot it Shows to be Not getting headway... IF This helps to Hurtle the gap there it is Not enough fuel.. I also suspect the Squirter NOT giving enough fuel at one time to get it going.. Easy to check with air filter out LOOK to see if it gives a CONTINUED squirt when the throttle is opened all the way....

RAW GAS (full stream)should squirt directly toward the center of the venture of the carb... IF not that is the problem...

signed....BUBBIE

I doubt the splitters would cause that drastic of a change, I have used them on fishtail drags with no problems, sounds more like a lean carb

I doubt the splitters would cause that drastic of a change, I have used them on fishtail drags with no problems, sounds more like a lean carb

I changed the angle of the lollipops today to allow more flow, less backpressure. I was told the jets are a #42 and a #165 ( was drilled to 165 from 160 ) Bubbie asked if I might have hit the enrichener. Answer is no, but if it occurs again could I pull the enrichener out to confirm lean condition ?

Last edited:
Yes you can use the enricher to see if it makes a difference then meaning a lean condition. You no doubt are lean with that 42 in there. Try to get a 45/46 and try that in there.

I changed the angle of the lollipops today to allow more flow, less backpressure. I was told the jets are a #42 and a #165 ( was drilled to 165 from 160 ) Bubbie asked if I might have hit the enrichener. Answer is no, but if it occurs again could I pull the enrichener out to confirm lean condition ?

Indeed, that will be a good test:s

A 165 main jet just seems a wee bit small as does the 42 for the slow jets that is sort of the stock sizes for 1992 unless it was a California model then would possibly come with a 160 main
in 1991 stock sizes were 185 and 45 for the slow jet so i would start with the 1991 sizes and work from there

Brian

A 165 main jet just seems a wee bit small as does the 42 for the slow jets that is sort of the stock sizes for 1992 unless it was a California model then would possibly come with a 160 main
in 1991 stock sizes were 185 and 45 for the slow jet so i would start with the 1991 sizes and work from there

Brian

Not arguing but my manual says 40 slow and 165 main ? Having said that I don't give a hoot what manual says, I want good running and reasonable economy. ( I'm told 40 mpg is good) which is what I'm getting since carb rebuild.

Took a 4 hr round trip yesterday and problem rears it's head as follows:
Hwy speed only til yesterday..usually 60 mph+. yesterday went as low as 45-50 mph.

after 3-5 miles of hwy speed only

will get the hitting the headwind sensation, followed by occasional spit type condition from carb.

Sometimes will go put, put and resume smooth running this may continue for miles or deteriorate to severe missing and causing speed to drop to approx 45 mph from hwy spd. It may recover or not unless speed is lowered. Seems to smooth out after downshift to 4th and after shifting back to 5th will come back after mile or less.

I'm leaning toward fuel contamination as bike got only 1600 miles on it in 6+ yrs. before i got it and tank has been flushed 3 times because of that. and float boel was filled with junk when rebuilt and petcock was replaced due to screen ruined ?

Was recommended to me yesterday by an "ol timer" to pro clean and 'red coat" it. He wasn't a fan of creaming it. Don't know the cost of this but it seems to me to be the next logical step.

I am so bummed out over this as I have spent $630 and prob. still exists. And I have lost faith in the bike to get from point A to B and back. You guys are great with suggestions. If You need further questions answered, just ask. I am wide open to suggestion. Thanks

Back