free website stats program Evo Charging System | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo Charging System

As Hoop said...and continuing on with his "credo..."

#2 If you discharge your battery deeply, the CCA reserve will be degraded...even though you can and should externally charge the battery overnight (battery tender may not have enough power to fully discharged one, and especially if over 7 years you should think about a replacement. Do not continue operating your bike with a discharged, weak battery or one with internal cells shorted...too long and the stator will be stressed and overheat trying to power a shorted cell and your normal bike starting and running operations.

My "92 fxr came with stator plug retainer, didn't even know what it was til now. Now I feel better knowing I'm somewhat protected against high repair cost item. Friend of mine did the stator on his '03 dyna last year. Broke down on road. Tow and repair....$600

Bubbie: If your dealership sold you two stators when all you needed was a battery, I would be having a conversation with the service manager. The newer Service Manuals are showing less and less technical information. The older manuals tell you how to test the stator.

Also WalMart sells a Black and Decker Battery Charger/Tester/Booster/Alternator Tester for about $45.00 that will help you avoid replacing non-faulty parts.

The bikes voltage regulator will usually show hair-line cracks, wrinkeling, or bubbling on the back side when they go or are going bad.

The older manuals tell you how to test the stator.

Maybe, maybe not, but....

The thing is the older stators were single phase. I think if the charging systems were still a simple single phase, the instructions would still be printed or more technical data would be included. With today's 3 phase systems, it's hard to tell if all 3 phases are balanced without having them loaded and strapped to 3 VOM's.

The best advice here as already stated by Mr Electricity Hoople, a good battery is the best and cheapest insurance for your charging system:D

My '92 with 60.000+ miles has the original rotor and stator. I'm on the 3rd voltage reg. It's important that the stator plug (by the end of oil filter) be kept fully plugged in. They get knocked loose and can start a chain of bad events.
Hi,On the subject of Stators etc...91 Ultra. My Charging system (all renewed recently) isnt putting out its normal 14, its rate is down to between 10 &11.On checking male & female connector/s at stator plug (on Crankcase),Im finding oil on the metal connectors. Is this normal?? Doug.

Last edited:
My Charging system (all renewed recently) isnt putting out its normal 14, its rate is down to between 10 &11..

The rate is not down,,, your rate is Zero. I would find out the reason fast or you might be renewing it once again.

I don't remember ever seeing oil on my stator connector. It has been a long time since I have done any stator work on this bike. Hoople is right, you have a problem.

Back