free website stats program erratic voltmeter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

erratic voltmeter

Hey guys check this out. While looking at all mentioned above, I could not find any wire broken or rubbing on anything. What I did find was this. The meter when idling or around 2 grand rpm, the voltmeter bounces between battery voltage (12v) and 14+ (normal). I checked the stator output with my meter and at 2 grand it read about 45-50v AC. According to the manual, this is normal. While the regulator is disconnected from the circuit, the needle on my voltmeter is dead nuts steady at 12 volts, (no charging) Soon as I put the regulator back online, the voltmeter will start bouncing back and forth again. Could the regulator be allowing the AC voltage to charge the battery normal and then block the charging (due to a faulty regulator maybe?) which will drop the voltmeter back to 12 volts. I can ride the bike normal, all seems okay, other than this erratic charging display on the voltmenter. My bike is 9 years old with 40k on the clock. Anyone experience this type of problem with their regulator. Thanks

just checked out the self help tips and found a test for the regulator on my bike. Disconnected the plug on the regulator and placed the black lead of my voltmeter on the negative side on my battery and touched the red lead to each of the 2 pins on the connector on the regulator and read battery voltage on each pin. Is this normal??

After much investigation and using the help from this site, turns out my erratic voltmeter which was fluctuating between battery voltage and 14+ volts, lead me to a defective voltage regulator. 2 years ago my stator went south and the regulator was not replaced at that time. (should have been). Replaced the regulator and all is well again. Thanks for the help::D

Back