free website stats program erratic voltmeter | Harley Davidson Forums

erratic voltmeter

robomike

Hello, my first post. I have a 02 FLHTCI and when riding my voltmeter will drop below 12 volts, (which triggered a low voltage code, 16) The meter will drop and rise, drop and rise. I believe this to be some type of electrical short which is coming and going. The needle sometimes goes back and forth like a windshield wiper! This condition even exists when the bike is sitting in my barn running. When it is started, sometimes the needle rises to where it is supposed to be. When I blip the throttle the needle drops. Like I mentioned, the needle will even behave erattic when the bike is sitting still. Seems like this would rule out any wiring under fender and such, thinking it may have something to with the wiring around the engine as this is the only thing moving (vibration) I'm at my wits end here. Any suggestions as to where to look. Thanks in advance

Take a look at the harness around the neck area where the turning of the bars would wear on the wires.

Thanks Glider. I know it has to be a broken,or nearly broken wire, that is rubbing on the frame somewhere but just looking for suggestions as to where to look. I'll check it out tonight around the neck area.

Something else to consider. Intermittant things like this are often caused by a bad ground connection. All parts of the frame must be grounded. There might be one missing or loose.

Just a thought but... I had the same trouble with my FLHTCI last year... 1) my battery water was almost empty,2) my battery cables wre a little lose... fixed those 2 things not any trouble in a year..And I was ready to buy all kinds of expensive parts and start replaceing stuff ,when a little simple maintance fixed her right up...Good luck...:D

Remember also, that if your ride is 5 years old or so, those fuses and connectors under the seat can accumulate moisture and corrosion will result. If you see white "fur" in there, time to use a tuner/control cleaner that is mild from your friendly neighborhood electronic store, flush and mate the connections several times, use dielectric grease to preserve water resistant connections and your done.:D

Just a thought but... I had the same trouble with my FLHTCI last year... 1) my battery water was almost empty,2) my battery cables wre a little lose... fixed those 2 things not any trouble in a year..And I was ready to buy all kinds of expensive parts and start replaceing stuff ,when a little simple maintance fixed her right up...Good luck...:D

I'll agree with lakeforttx, had a problem like this last year. cleaned all the battery cables, both ends and applied some grease to stop corrision. don't forget the star washers, they will help with the grounding. a little corrision on the ground wires can cause a lot of trouble. good luck

lakeforktx. I have a second battery and tried that right away. didnt make any difference. Still searching....Thanks for the reply

I had a broken tooth off the primary that wound up trashing the magnets. As the bits would move around they would sometimes be in about the right position and make the required electricity. Other times it would be all jacked up and flash the check engine light. Really had the wrench scratching his head. You might think about changing the primary fluid and checking the plug for metal debris. Good luck.

Back