free website stats program Engine Temp Gage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Temp Gage

Not a big wrench kinda guy, but JP Cycles sells some made by Martin. They even have a dual indicator that gives Oil temp and cylinder head temp. $99 for the single and $139 for the dual.

Was thinking of putting the dual on my Ultra this winter. Stand by Jack, I'll be screaming for your help again! :bigsmiley23:

Anyone have any experience with Martin gauges?
Ride safe.

I don't have any actual experience with Marlin's products, but comments and reviews seem to show them as being pretty good. They sell direct also.
Marlin's manufactures the finest gauges and accessories for motorcycles

How much did you (we...I installed the OT gauge in both of the Ultras I've owned) pay for the gauge? Nuff said...your question has been answered.

Jim; I get your point.
When you think about it though, if your bike came stock with an air temp gauge, would there have been any cost difference for HD to have put in an OT gauge instead?
I mean a gauge is a gauge, one sender would cost about the same as another, and wiring is wiring. I can't see how it would cost HD more to have made the air temp gauge an oil temp gauge in the first place.

Rod

Jim; I get your point.
When you think about it though, if your bike came stock with an air temp gauge, would there have been any cost difference for HD to have put in an OT gauge instead?
I mean a gauge is a gauge, one sender would cost about the same as another, and wiring is wiring. I can't see how it would cost HD more to have made the air temp gauge an oil temp gauge in the first place.

Rod

Thats because the cost that HD see's. Is not the actual cost difference in the types of gauges. But the perceptual cost in the long run of admitting their bikes run hot.

zoood

It wouldn't cost HD anything to push those bikes out the door with an oil temp gauge in them instead of that silly air temp gauge. But, then the market for aftermarket oil temp gauges would go away. Face it. the MoCo looks at a stock bike as a blank canvas, and counts on the aftermarket P&A and motor clothes sales to really make money. The aftermarket folks (J&P Cycles, Hog Tunes, J&M electronics, Kuryakyn) aren't complaining a bit either. If that weren't the case, why wouldn't they make bikes with OEM V&H or Rinehart pipes, fuel tuners, and Big Sucker intakes instead of the stuff they put on them. They equip with stuff that is (barely) adequate for the everyday rider, but know that many will want to upgrade.

It wouldn't cost HD anything to push those bikes out the door with an oil temp gauge in them instead of that silly air temp gauge. But, then the market for aftermarket oil temp gauges would go away. Face it. the MoCo looks at a stock bike as a blank canvas, and counts on the aftermarket P&A and motor clothes sales to really make money. The aftermarket folks (J&P Cycles, Hog Tunes, J&M electronics, Kuryakyn) aren't complaining a bit either. If that weren't the case, why wouldn't they make bikes with OEM V&H or Rinehart pipes, fuel tuners, and Big Sucker intakes instead of the stuff they put on them. They equip with stuff that is (barely) adequate for the everyday rider, but know that many will want to upgrade.

For sure aftermarket parts & acc. play a big part in the profitability of HD. But things like air filters, exhaust, fuelers and others are mandated by EPA standards, not the factory looking for $$ down the road. That's why there are so many supposedly "tamper resistant" features. Keeps the majority of us from adding to environmental woes.

I'm too obsessive to have a temp gauge.....I'd be looking at it all the time and prob end up getting into a wreck....not good :small3d002:

marlin's oil temp gage has a cylinder head temp sensor ,along with a oil temp sensor. where you take out the rear head bolt & slide in a sensor then replace the bolt. then you use a toggle switch to switch from the oil temp sensor ( in which you place in the oil pan) . as a recip mechanic (air cooled engine) you waited till the CHT was up to 180* before you advanced the throttles.
thats how they monitor their engines.along with oil temp.
thats what i have on my '09 tri-glide, but no matter how hot the oil temp is, the CHT doesn't register.
i'd stick with a oil temp gage. that will indicate to you when the eng. is getting
hot (220) is the normal operating temp for the twin cam engine. (as per service manual). when you get stuck in traffic you can go to PARADE MODE and reduce you engine heat. till you get into clear traffic. as you may know you have to shut off the eng. to put into & out-of- parade mode.

I got an oil temp gage from the local dealer. Nice thing is it matched the gages installed in my fairing. it was a very easy job to install. Hardest part was sperating the fairing as this was the first time I did it. Make sure you use the parts included in the kit, as the old backing ring will not fit the new gage. Winter riding temps around 180 to 200 degrees. Today, outside temp was 93 degrees and the motor was running around 230 on the interstate, 240 on the city streets. I've seen it get up to 260 and began worrying. I like to know the parameters my engine is running under.

marlin's oil temp gage has a cylinder head temp sensor ,along with a oil temp sensor. where you take out the rear head bolt & slide in a sensor then replace the bolt. then you use a toggle switch to switch from the oil temp sensor ( in which you place in the oil pan) . as a recip mechanic (air cooled engine) you waited till the CHT was up to 180* before you advanced the throttles.
thats how they monitor their engines.along with oil temp.
thats what i have on my '09 tri-glide, but no matter how hot the oil temp is, the CHT doesn't register.
i'd stick with a oil temp gage. that will indicate to you when the eng. is getting
hot (220) is the normal operating temp for the twin cam engine. (as per service manual). when you get stuck in traffic you can go to PARADE MODE and reduce you engine heat. till you get into clear traffic. as you may know you have to shut off the eng. to put into & out-of- parade mode.
Have the same set-up and everything works fine.
Originally had the CHT sensor on the front bolt (easiest to get to) but it never read any temps. I moved the CHT sensor to the most rear head bolt. Then it worked.
By having the sensor up front, it was receiving too much cooling air.
Put it in the rear.

Back