free website stats program Engine Temp Gage | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Temp Gage

22Raptor

I would like to replace my Air Temp gage with a Engine Temp gage on my 98 Ultra. Any such thing out there? I find it silly to need a gage to tell me if I need a jacket or not.

I installed the HD oil temp kit in my 2004 Classic last summer, and it works great. Why they don't come stock with the oil temp gauge instead of the stupid air temp gauge is a mystery.

Rod

...Why they don't come stock with the oil temp gauge instead of the stupid air temp gauge is a mystery.

How much did you (we...I installed the OT gauge in both of the Ultras I've owned) pay for the gauge? Nuff said...your question has been answered.

I installed a Roger McEwan gauge on my bike about four years ago. It matches the OEM gauges and is an easy install. Oil temp gauges are nice to have has an overall indicator of what is the "normal" operating temperature of your oil, but be careful, you can fixate on the temp and begin worrying. I know, I did.

I think the sensor has to be located in a different place on an Evo because the oil pan doesn't have the extra plug.

When I first installed mine, I did it not have the oil cooler installed. When I added the cooler, the ruber tubing that connected it all became a challenge, and the method HD shows in the diagram leaves a lot to be desired. I was put wise to utilize the extra plug in the oil pan for the sender location. Yes, you'll have to lenghten the wires, but that's not a big deal. Now I measure the temp of the oil that will enter the engine.

I was put wise to utilize the extra plug in the oil pan for the sender location. Yes, you'll have to lenghten the wires, but that's not a big deal. Now I measure the temp of the oil that will enter the engine.

The oil pan plug is likely the best location for measuring oil temp. This is your highest temp, since the oil has just been returned from the engine.
The oil feed pump first pumps the oil through the filter, then through the cooler if so equipped, and only if the thermostat is seeing a temp over 180F. Otherwise the cooler is bypassed.
So this means that even if your temp gauge is showing lets say 230F, once the oil flows through your cooler it should have cooled perhaps down to 200F before going to lubricate the engine.
I have noticed on mine that when the oil temp starts getting up around 175 to 180, the pressure gauge will suddenly show a drop of maybe 10 psi, as the thermostat opens and the oil is pushed through the cooler. Initially the residual oil in the cooler is at ambient until the thermostat opens, so first the hot oil has to displace all the cooler more viscous oil in the cooler.
The pressure gauge is after filtering and cooling, so it shows the actual pressure feeding the engine, which is a good thing.

Rod

The Moco has quit selling the in dash oil temp guage....had one on my 04..liked it...hear there are other comp. that are selling them...

Not a big wrench kinda guy, but JP Cycles sells some made by Martin. They even have a dual indicator that gives Oil temp and cylinder head temp. $99 for the single and $139 for the dual.

Was thinking of putting the dual on my Ultra this winter. Stand by Jack, I'll be screaming for your help again! :bigsmiley23:

Anyone have any experience with Martin gauges?
Ride safe.

Back