free website stats program Engine stumbles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine stumbles

Glider, I usually ride year round and don't have much more than a week of not riding due to having the snow melt off. Will there be any problems running a with Seafoam in the tank?

When I replaced the fuel filter I also put a new hose to the throttle body and a new quick disconnect on (I messed it up trying to get it off to change the internal hose). This was done about 5000 mile ago.

You can run the sea foam or Marvel mystery oil year round. It cleans and the MMO will give a bit of top cylinder lube too. I don't think I would mix them in any case, one or the other will work.

Check the wiring to the fuel injector. They had a known problem with them being strapped to tightly and the wire would break inside the insulation right near the injector. Do a wiggle test with the bike running and see if the engine stumbles. Do it on the wiring harness just short of the plug on the injector. The rubber mounted engine will move on acceleration causing a break in the connection to an injector.

I rode today and now know it is the rear cylinder that is not firing. I did put Seafoam in and bought some Marvel Mystery Oil. I noticed that when I was idling the idle speed increased to about 1300 RPM when the issue occurred.

When I got back I took the tank off to get to the coil to test it. I read the self help for testing the coil but didn't understand which points to test for the primary side. The secondary measurement was 19.8K.

I saw that my rear wire was showing some wear marks and put tape over them, will replace the wires next time I get to the dealer.

After putting it all back together I now have 2 codes, 24 & 25 which are for front and rear coil. These are new.

Questions from today:
Would the CRR and CFRT wires be the primary side to be measured?

Is the secondary too high (19.8K)? Coil test self help said 10K to 13 K.

Should I put stock wires back on or put the SE wires on?

If SE wires will this cause ION sensing issues?

I put new plugs and wires on but we had a short blizzard blow through and now have to wait for the roads to clear up to see if this fixed my problem. If needed my next purchase will be a new coil.

Why is it that the stock wires aren't stocked but the more expensive Screamin Eagle 10mm wires are? I did install the larger wires but they sure don't fit into the stock clips. I zip tied the wires loosely so they would not rub anywhere. Will this be OK?

They like to sell the SE wires because they make more on the sale.

Your method should work as long as they are secure and nothing is cutting into the wires. Stock wires are hard to beat and last a good time, cheap to replace and don't effect the ION sensing that is built into the system. The SE wires have on ocasion caused a problem with the ION sensing that retards spark when detonation is present.

Harley Davidson Community

Just a quick update, I ordered a new coil and will install it when received. This should be in between 7-10 days and I will hopefully close this problem out.

Again, I would like to thank all that have provided their sage advise to date. :small3d028:

Back