free website stats program Engine stumbles | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine stumbles

RedUltra02

Recently I have developed a problem where my engine stumbles. The problem started after getting gas at a station I always go to. It feels like I am running one one cylinder. The issue seems to happen when the engine is warm. This seems to be happening when I roll on the throttle, haven't noticed it when just cruising.

I stopped by my Indy and he recomended putting in Heet in case it was water in the gas. I have done this and it still is happening.

1. I took the crankshaft sensor out and cleaned it even though it didn't look dirty.
2. I put a spade across the terminals and didn't have any codes flash on the Speedo.
3. I had a TSSM code 21 (left turn signal). Don't think this would cause it.

I am looking for anyone's ideas for things to look at.

This is a 2002 Ultra with a 95" Stage 2 with a SERT.

Recently I have developed a problem where my engine stumbles. The problem started after getting gas at a station I always go to. It feels like I am running one one cylinder. The issue seems to happen when the engine is warm. This seems to be happening when I roll on the throttle, haven't noticed it when just cruising.

I stopped by my Indy and he recomended putting in Heet in case it was water in the gas. I have done this and it still is happening.

1. I took the crankshaft sensor out and cleaned it even though it didn't look dirty.
2. I put a spade across the terminals and didn't have any codes flash on the Speedo.
3. I had a TSSM code 21 (left turn signal). Don't think this would cause it.

I am looking for anyone's ideas for things to look at.

This is a 2002 Ultra with a 95" Stage 2 with a SERT.
I would not have used HEET, more alcohol? Try some SEAFOAM in the tank, may be as simple as bad gas?

Does Seafoam give an amount to be used? Do I need to empty most of the gas prior to using it?

Also, I recently did change the filter and hoses and don't think I rubbed a hole in the new hose. But if I need to lower the fuel level to use the Seafoam, I will also be listening for a leaking hose.

Sea foam or any others will give you the usage info on the container on how much to add. Best to keep the tank full over the layup period to avoid rusting in the tank. Always run the engine for a minute or two to get it into the fuel system.

Does Seafoam give an amount to be used? Do I need to empty most of the gas prior to using it?

Also, I recently did change the filter and hoses and don't think I rubbed a hole in the new hose. But if I need to lower the fuel level to use the Seafoam, I will also be listening for a leaking hose.

It would be good to start with fresh gas that way u could rule out the gas IMO, check the can for the right amount to dump in:D

Maybe coincidental but what about the fuel line deterioration in tank, if seafoam does not correct complaint..

Sea foam or any others will give you the usage info on the container on how much to add. Best to keep the tank full over the layup period to avoid rusting in the tank. Always run the engine for a minute or two to get it into the fuel system.

Glider, I usually ride year round and don't have much more than a week of not riding due to having the snow melt off. Will there be any problems running a with Seafoam in the tank?

When I replaced the fuel filter I also put a new hose to the throttle body and a new quick disconnect on (I messed it up trying to get it off to change the internal hose). This was done about 5000 mile ago.

Glider, I usually ride year round and don't have much more than a week of not riding due to having the snow melt off. Will there be any problems running a with Seafoam in the tank?

When I replaced the fuel filter I also put a new hose to the throttle body and a new quick disconnect on (I messed it up trying to get it off to change the internal hose). This was done about 5000 mile ago.

Seafoam will not hurt even after sitting A very good product, Have been using it for years:D A bit of Marvel Mystery Oil will be an added plus

Last edited by a moderator:
Back