free website stats program engine size ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine size ?

If memory serves, the 900 Sportster was direct sales competition for the Triumph amd Nortons. And since they were right hand shift, that's how HD produced the Sporty.

Same and same, just an America built bike. The cafe racers were all the rage in Europe at that time. And since the bikes were being imported to the US, the culture followed.

Yep, the tried and true K models (FLATHEADS) were getting a face lift if you will with the new OHV motor with a big increase in power like the XLCH:s

My first new bike was a '73 XLCH and it was 997cc (aka 1000). Stock Sportsters were 997cc from 1972 through 1985. 1974 was the year they switched to the left side shift. Prior to 1972 they were 883cc and I never heard either engine referred to as a 900. It was either an 883 or a 1000.

My first HD was a '73 XLCH and it was 997cc (aka 1000). Stock Sportsters were 997cc from 1972 through 1985. 1974 was the year they switched to the left side shift.

Thanks for the info! And welcome to HDtalking!

I could be off a wee bit here but i was led to believe that all bikes for sale in the us had to have left side shift for the start of 1976
i had a 1975 triumph the last of the right side shift and i think the first year of the 5 speed box
but then triumph could have been a wee bit behind due to the company had gone bust and the workers kept the factory open till new funding and management were found

Brian

75 was first year of left side shift, have you ever ridden one, they were tricky at first:p I mean the right side shifter being tricky :p

Got my manual out and 75 was the first year for the left side shift like Jack says... but the manual says 1970 to 1978 were all 1000cc. Now I know that they were really like 951 or something like that but they were tagged 1000cc.

I could be wrong but if memory serves up correctly. The Sportster evolved from the K models whch were used for flat track racing back in the day and the only way to turn was left. Hence the right side shifter. Google KKRT or KRT you will be surprised at the results. Last year for right side was 73 dunno when 1000 cc came about.

Keep the Dirty Side Down, Ride Safe :USA

LEOG

My first new bike was a '73 XLCH and it was 997cc (aka 1000). Stock Sportsters were 997cc from 1972 through 1985. 1974 was the year they switched to the left side shift. Prior to 1972 they were 883cc and I never heard either engine referred to as a 900. It was either an 883 or a 1000.

Your correct, early Sportsters were 883 but many riders don't know that because much of Harley advertising called them 900's.

Your correct, early Sportsters were 883 but many riders don't know that because much of Harley advertising called them 900's.
I think this is more a case of too many dead brain cells on my part. :small3d029: It's no fun getting old. :cry After I did a little web surfing I saw a lot of 900 references for the ironhead 883.

All the historical references I found agreed on 1972 to 1985 as the model years that the Ironhead 1000 were built. I can't explain the owners manual that stated 1970 unless it is a misprint. I suppose it doesn't matter as far as the OP question is concerned. Everyone agrees that a '76 was a 1000.

I think this is more a case of too many dead brain cells on my part. :small3d029: It's no fun getting old. :cry After I did a little web surfing I saw a lot of 900 references for the ironhead 883.

All the historical references I found agreed on 1972 to 1985 as the model years that the Ironhead 1000 were built. I can't explain the owners manual that stated 1970 unless it is a misprint. I suppose it doesn't matter as far as the OP question is concerned. Everyone agrees that a '76 was a 1000.

Right and no sense in all of us beating a dead horse, as long as the OP gets the info he needs, We all have contributed some thing:s

Back