free website stats program engine size ? | Harley Davidson Forums

engine size ?

bzhunter

i picked up a 76 sporty right hand shift.
i was told it was a 1200 engine ? not a 1000.
how do you identify what it is ?
thank you.
bzhunter

Well stock 76 Sportsters were 1000 cc...I need to think about this right hand shifter, as that doesn't ring a bell. Easy to check out though.

i picked up a 76 sporty right hand shift.
i was told it was a 1200 engine ? not a 1000.
how do you identify what it is ?
thank you.
bzhunter

74 was last year of right shifter, probably 900cc unless it has been stroked and or bored out

I though it was '73. But the 900cc for stock is correct.

75 was first year of left side shift, have you ever ridden one, they were tricky at first:p I mean the right side shifter being tricky :p

I rode a few late 60's Nortons and Triumph that were right hand shift. It wasn't some that I liked, it was a bit different. You really had to think about what you were doing.

I rode a few late 60's Nortons and Triumph that were right hand shift. It wasn't some that I liked, it was a bit different. You really had to think about what you were doing.

LOL, I kept down shifting instead of braking:p

If memory serves, the 900 Sportster was direct sales competition for the Triumph amd Nortons. And since they were right hand shift, that's how HD produced the Sporty.

Same and same, just an America built bike. The cafe racers were all the rage in Europe at that time. And since the bikes were being imported to the US, the culture followed.

Back