free website stats program Engine Oil Weight | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Oil Weight

[B said:
R. Lewis;454493]remember folks you can put peanut oil in these scoots and run em down the road. But is it good for the inner workings of these $$$$$$$ beasts???[/B]

This is an Oldie but Goodie Thanks R.Lewis.. I like Your Thinking...:s

signed....BUBBIE

for what its worth, i run mobil 1 15w50 in my 02 flhr. i have just over 50k miles on it and am happy with its performance. why that oil? can't beat the price/quality equation with anything else. i change the oil every 3000 miles and spend ~$25 for 5 qt container of oil at walmart. i ride in lots of differnt conditions, usually including a cross country trip each year- long hours in heat. i dont have an oil cooler.

Motorcycle specific oil is designed for use in shared sump with in a wet clutch system. With an H-D air cooled engine, the engine oil is just for the engine. Any 50 weight oil will do the job, the first number doesn't matter.

If the 50 weight "engine" oil has the correct levels of ZDDP that a "motorcycle" oil has then I would agree. If it is like most automotive oils the ZDDP additives are disappearing due to cars being equipped with catalytic converters. ZDDP and cats don't play well together. A true "motorcycle" engine oil will have adaquate levels of ZDDP which your air cooled V-Twin needs when the viscosity breaks down in extreme heat.

What about motorcycle engines that are equipped with catalytic converters?

It is fine to use Mobil 1 auto oil in your HD if your engine doesn't use the oil for the clutch. For example, my 2004 Sporty, Mobil 1 auto oil. The V-twin oil is special because of the clutches only. Mobil 1 tech will tell you the same.

The emissions cut backs to ZDDP, for passenger and light trucks, stop at SAE 40.

So, a 15 or 20W-50 is still old school, if you will.

Back