free website stats program Engine oil breather | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine oil breather

Sorry to intrude, but I have a question about this external breather!.
I installed a set like this , and I was wondering how can I check , if it works as it should.
Concern is : is the flow of the banjo and banjo-eyes fast enough ,to let off the pressure in the crankcase.
Last thing I want to do ,is blowing gaskets, because the pressure can't escape fast enough.

A good question.
I think if you have a collection catch pot the concern would be it clogging up. I routed mine to to frame and out to atmosphere. Been that way for years, and I have not heard of any problems from others.

Sorry to intrude, but I have a question about this external breather!.
I installed a set like this , and I was wondering how can I check , if it works as it should.
Concern is : is the flow of the banjo and banjo-eyes fast enough ,to let off the pressure in the crankcase.
Last thing I want to do ,is blowing gaskets, because the pressure can't escape fast enough.
The easiest way to check the vents is to put your mouth on the tubing from each breather bolt and try blowing into them. You should not be able to blow. You should only be able to suck air. Make sure you do this with the engine off! LOL! Also with just tubing venting to atmosphere and the engine idling place you finger over each bolt tube. You should feel the escaping air pulsing out. Never in.

You guys are over thinking external venting; it's not rocket science. If there is an open vent, via a filter or vented canister, there is no way for it to clog up; just won't happen. The worst that can happen is the filter or canister media can collect so much mist that the liquid drop out will leak requiring a change but the crankcase is still being vented. Should this happen, something else is going on which requires investigating why.

What is more important is the condition of the OEM head breathers. The system is only as good as the condtion of the head breathers which also contain media which should be change periodically. The one way rubber breather valve will harden over time and will not seal as well. Opening up the drain hole in the support plate to at least 1/8" willl allow the oil that drops out of the mist to drain faster. The early head breathers as well as the later stamped units are rebuildable for a reason. If there is a blockage, that is where it will occur; not in the external system. Any external venting system is only as efficient as the OEM head breathers.

You guys are over thinking external venting; it's not rocket science. If there is an open vent, via a filter or vented canister, there is no way for it to clog up; just won't happen. The worst that can happen is the filter or canister media can collect so much mist that the liquid drop out will leak requiring a change but the crankcase is still being vented. Should this happen, something else is going on which requires investigating why.

What is more important is the condition of the OEM head breathers. The system is only as good as the condtion of the head breathers which also contain media which should be change periodically. The one way rubber breather valve will harden over time and will not seal as well. Opening up the drain hole in the support plate to at least 1/8" willl allow the oil that drops out of the mist to drain faster. The early head breathers as well as the later stamped units are rebuildable for a reason. If there is a blockage, that is where it will occur; not in the external system. Any external venting system is only as efficient as the OEM head breathers.
dolt my brother, I agree with you and I'm not over thinking anything. It's very simple. The only thing we don't agree on is the catch can or vent. It's still venting to atmosphere. You are absopositively correct about the in head breathers, media and drilling. :D

It appears that some think that the system will "clog" with a filter or vented canister. That's over thinking, it won't happen and I just want to clear that up. Catch can, filter or open vent doesn't matter; all will work so we don't have a disagreement; we just vent differently. Getting off the soap box now.;)

Well if nothing else, if I see a guy down on his knees sucking on his scooter's hoses, I'll know he's probably a member here. And when he's done and wiped the oil off his lips, I will introduce myself.

Back