free website stats program Engine intermittently dies, no codes (this is very long winded)... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine intermittently dies, no codes (this is very long winded)...

That my friend is a bunch of money to clean connections! I wish I could attract that kind of business..... Hold them to "the fix". If it happens again, take it back and insist on some free labor. One more thing, put away the pressure washer. You only need a hose.

That my friend is a bunch of money to clean connections! I wish I could attract that kind of business..... Hold them to "the fix". If it happens again, take it back and insist on some free labor. One more thing, put away the pressure washer. You only need a hose.

Well it was more than just cleaning the connections. They took things apart and made a bunch of phone calls, several test rides, etc. It's still a good chunk of cash you're right.

I mainly use the pressure washer cause I don't have a hose that I can use and it's convenient to just take it to the car wash. Around here I always seem to get tons of bugs that need extra ooomf to get them off. I'd like to avoid hand washing if I can. Maybe this will be an expensive enough lesson to make that happen though, hahaha.

If it happens again there will definitely be some big negotiations on the labor. Hopefully that won't be an issue though.

FLHTrider08

The latest update…

What the dealer did:

They spoke with Deeley Canada who put them in touch with the MoCo and then the factory. The MoCo advised that they had a similar problem in the past where a bike exhibited the very same symptoms as mine. They ended up replacing the Kill switch and the guy never had a problem again. So they replaced the switch and charged me for about half the labor to diagnose it all (4.5 hours). That was a little painful at $110/hr. The Shop Foreman advised they went over every single electrical connection again and cleaned it up and ran tests on all of it. Of course nothing was found but if it was the Kill switch then it may just be crapping out intermittently as is happening to me. One thing the MoCo did suggest was that if it does happen again to try and turn on the High Beam switch and see if the light comes on as apparently it’s on a different circuit.

Now:

I picked up my bike about 6 days ago and have put on about 2100Km (1300mi) thus far and have had no problems but who knows. I rode about 1500Km (900mi) before it started this year. I’ve ridden it mostly the same way that was causing problems in the past. I feel better that something was at least replaced this time and hopefully this will be the end of it. I’m feeling better overall and just hope that if it does crap out again it will be before my extended warranty runs out of Sept. 11.

After I picked it up, it just seemed to feel better overall but maybe that’s because I’d been without it for a while, hahaha.

FLHTrider08

When my '91 Dyna started having similar problems, I chased lots of other more complicated potential problems BEFORE I got to the simple one. Once I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the kill switch - voila!! Fixed.

Hope that was it for you too.

Cheers,

TQ

H-D Extended Warranty ended today (Sept 11). Every thing has been good so far. I've put on 3888Km (2416mi) since the Kill switch replacement with no problems. It's been running really good and I'm pretty confident that the nightmare is over. Thanks to everyone who helped at HDTimeline. It's much appreciated. Safe riding everyone :)

FLHTrider08

Back