free website stats program Engine intermittently dies, no codes (this is very long winded)... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine intermittently dies, no codes (this is very long winded)...

I was thinking kill switch in your first post but you didnt have to use it. Now that you did have to use it, it would be a suspect. I would make sure that switch is clean with no corrosion build up in it. If it's full of corrosion, it could possibly make the switch at times and kill the bike....

I was thinking kill switch in your first post but you didnt have to use it. Now that you did have to use it, it would be a suspect. I would make sure that switch is clean with no corrosion build up in it. If it's full of corrosion, it could possibly make the switch at times and kill the bike....

I agree with Bodeen here. Take the handlebar set apart and look at the switches to see if there is a bunch of white or whitish-green buildup inside. If so, disassemble the switches, clean everything and spray with contact cleaner (don't get it on the paint!!!). Reassemble using some spray lube.

See if that helps.

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
Got my bike back today. I work 4on 4off 12hr shifts so I had to wait until I was off. So here's what they found and did:

6) checked function and resistance of kill switch circuit, ok

Bodeen and TQuentin1 they checked it already and it seems to be good...

I would look at the jiffy stand switch and see what kind of condition that is in, since they didn't test that switch.

Also, it could be the ignition relay or ignition coil being intermittent.

03HD883R,

Jiffy Stand switch? I don't know if my bike has one. I know some international models have them but mine (Canada) doesn't. Maybe the new ones do.

So just an update....

I took my ride in yesterday and spoke with the shop foreman. He was familiar with my bike from the last time it was in. I wrote up a 3 page note with as many details and info as I could remember. I really hope they can come up with something to end this madness. I'm really thinking I might just trade it in on a new one just to get rid of this problem. I don't really wanna spend the cash on a new ride right now as I could really use the money for other things but of course my eyes always light up looking at all the features of the new model, especially the 103.

I hope they can make a miracle happen. I really don't want to give up my first Harley.

FLHTrider08

Last edited by a moderator:
So just an update....

I took my ride in yesterday and spoke with the shop foreman. He was familiar with my bike from the last time it was in. I wrote up a 3 page note with as many details and info as I could remember. I really hope they can come up with something to end this madness. I'm really thinking I might just trade it in on a new one just to get rid of this problem. I don't really wanna spend the cash on a new ride right now as I could really use the money for other things but of course my eyes always light up looking at all the features of the new model, especially the 103.

I hope they can make a miracle happen. I really don't want to give up my first Harley.

FLHTrider08

Remember replacing bike is only the beginning of a new problem not just correcting a old problem...

Yeah I guess... I just can't get the idea out of my mind that if the engine dies on the hiway or while I'm passing someone, I might die too. Hoping to upgrade to a less serious problem, hahaha

So with the bike shutting down like someone through a switch. Has anyone checked the speed sensor even though there are no codes. Try something, at speed that failure occurs do not use 6th gear but run in 5th gear and see what happens. It appears that bike will start fine and is intermittent as when failure occurs. This is a long shot. Do you have any added electrical accessories. Like a fuel processor, LED lights. GPS etc. If so disconnect all and ride. This last time it appears you were going a bit faster than usual and possibly bike would not start till speed dropped below the threshold. And one last question related to speed sensor, is speedo and or tach dropping out when bike shuts off. Because not only are you possibly loosing wheel speed sensor and bike is registering it is not moving but possibly tach is dropping out reading that engine is not running so bike shuts off with the throttle measuring that it is open as far as it is when traveling at speed and bike is in 6th gear.

03HD883R,

Jiffy Stand switch? I don't know if my bike has one. I know some international models have them but mine (Canada) doesn't. Maybe the new ones do.

FLHTrider08

The easiest way to tell is start the bike, drop it in gear, and then lower the jiffy stand. If the engine stops, then you have a jiffy stand switch.

The other way to test it, but I highly advise against it for obvious reasons, is to put the bike into gear, leave the jiffy stand down, and try to start it without holding in the clutch. If it doesn't start, then you have a jiffy stand switch.

The reason I advise against the other way, is because if it doesn't have the switch, you will be subjected to a nice jolt and possibly dropping the bike.

I had this happen on mine the first week I owned it, because it doesn't have a jiffy stand switch. I left it in gear, luckily I was holding the brake, but it scared the crap out of me, because it sent me forward 2 feet, and I was parked in front of a dumpster. One of those things you'll never forget.

Another update (hopefully the last)...

So I got a call from the Shop Foreman today at the dealer (Harley-Davidson of Edmonton) working on my bike. He said they went over my bike and did a bunch of electrical tests and more test rides but still couldn't reproduce the problem. He said he then called Deeley Canada, which is the exclusive Canadian distributor to get an opinion from their people. They didn't say anything that hadn't been tried already so they setup a call with the Shop Foreman and Milwaukee who also spoke with guys at the factory about the problem. H-D advised that a while back they had a bike with a similar problem that ended up having a faulty Kill switch (credits go to Bodeen and TQuentin1 for suggesting it first, we have some smart people here). After it was replaced, the guy never had the problem again.

Before replacing the Kill switch they had also gone over all the electrical connections on the bike and tested them. He said there was also a bunch of corrosion on most of the connectors (everything from inside the fairing to under the seat) so all connections (even those without corrosion) were cleaned up. I asked why there would be so much corrosion on a 6 year old bike. If there's one thing I'm guilty of, it's not keeping my bike as keen as I should. When I wash it, its with a pressure washer but surely I'm not the only one. I would think Harley has half decent protection against water since it's an vehicle that will see all kinds of weather (even snow for those unfortunate enough).

He said that the Moco also advised that if it happens again to try turning on the high beem and seeing if the light comes on as apparently it's on a different circuit. Not sure what that will tell them but hopefully the problem won't return, at least while I still own it, but I wouldn't want someone else to risk their lives with it either.

The only bad news is the cost associated with all of it. The Foreman said they put between 8.5-9 hours into my bike but they want me to pay 4.5 hours of labor which works out to $495. That's kind of painful but hopefully this will be the end of it all. They said the Moco doesn't pay for them to diagnose problems, just replace the parts. I can kind of understand that. I used to work in I.T. and it was the same way. We got a flat rate to fix it no matter how long it took to resolve. Sometimes problems can be a real bugger and I really appreciate all the effort that they put into it. Much more than I can say for the dealer I bought my bike from when they looked at it a few times. Needless to say they have a new customer. They're a lot father from home than my usual dealer but the fact that they gave a crap and put all that work in, a lot of it for free, means something to me as a customer. May the rest of my riding be trouble free (at least from this problem). I won't be able to pick her up until Tuesday due to my work schedule but I'm really looking forward to riding her again.

Thanks H-D of Edmonton and everyone at HDtalking who offered suggestions and advice. There is a great group of guys here and the experience of everyone is invaluable.

FLHTrider08

Last edited:
Back