free website stats program Engine Break In For New Motors | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Break In For New Motors

Uh-Oh - - Never having heard of this break-in procedure, I rode my first 700 miles like the dealer said - Don't lug - Don't overrev - Don't go over 65 for 500 miles - (After 500 I rode it like normal - Around 70 mph on the open road in 6th gear )- Don't stay at a steady speed for very long - Did it like he said - How bad have I messed up? - Still have 300 miles to go before I take her in for the 1000 mile service - Is it too late to do anything?

Normally you would want to do the break in pretty soon after the engine is built/rebuilt while the honing marks in the cylinder can act on the new ring surfaces. I think 20 miles is what I heard before.

That being said it can't hurt to go through the procedure but I wouldn't expect dramatic results.

How bad have I messed up? - Still have 300 miles to go before I take her in for the 1000 mile service - Is it too late to do anything?

You'll be OK the way you rode it. This procedure just puts a bit more pressure on the rings to seat them around the entire circumference of the piston and will give you a better seal doing it the way it was explained above. Sometimes when the engines are broken in the way the dealers recommend, it takes longer for the rings to seat and you will use some oil during this time. Some engines when they are broken in easy, never get the proper seal on the rings and will use some oil over their lifetime.

HI All, just saw the post and couldn’t agree more. I had the 2007 RK SE in shop for the 110 leaking head gasket recall at 9500 miles. I just wanted it fix right the first time so had new Axtell cylinders’ with new pistons installed on my dime. Also new cams pushrods and Rinehart true duals. I already had installed the thunder max auto and mapped it for this cam and upgrade. Read this site motorman break-in as listed above (glad I did) to do break in so had dealer put on his dyno and run the break-in procedure to seat rings. Then advised them to fully change the oil with the scavenger kit I gave them as I wanted all the tiny metal shavings out of this engine. I have about 600 miles on this engine build, does this 110 run strong. Big Big diff from the 110 I use to have. Good luck to all with new bikes!!!!!!!!!

I will be picking my bike up this week after having done some head porting, 106 kit and new cams.

So if I get this right what I need to do is find a nice road that i can take the bike on 3rd gear from 30 to 60 accelerating about 3/4 throttle, decelerating while still on 3rd gear letting the engine do the work no brakes or down shifting and repeating 10 times

when i hit the 100 miles change the oil and then ride pretty much normal
is this about right? thanks.

I will be picking my bike up this week after having done some head porting, 106 kit and new cams.

So if I get this right what I need to do is find a nice road that i can take the bike on 3rd gear from 30 to 60 accelerating about 3/4 throttle, decelerating while still on 3rd gear letting the engine do the work no brakes or down shifting and repeating 10 times

EXACTLY RIGHT by Good Book on break-ins. I did two extras just for good measure when i did mine... cause it had over 20 miles on it... NEW

signed....BUBBIE

You got it right and it works too.

Well it is done!!!

I drove about 20 miles to the road i wanted to be at, nice stretch, little traffic, and I did as recommended.

Will do 100 miles then change the oil, ride it for about 1000 miles change the oil again and go back to synthetic

Well it is done!!!

I drove about 20 miles to the road i wanted to be at, nice stretch, little traffic, and I did as recommended.

Will do 100 miles then change the oil, ride it for about 1000 miles change the oil again and go back to synthetic

Nice dyno figures! Now ride it and enjoy it!!:D
But safely - with the rubber side always down.....:D

Back