free website stats program Engine Break In For New Motors | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Break In For New Motors

glider.

BOT Machine
Here's a site that will give you some ideas on proper engine break in...

MOTOTUNE USA... Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

This is my advice for breaking in a new motor and how I do mine also.

Find a road where there is no traffic and get it up to third gear. Accelerate from 30-60 using a substantial amount of throttle (around 3/4 + ) and coast back down to 30 again letting the engine do the breaking for the bike.
Do this 10 times and your rings are seated. Keep speed to a reasonable limit and vary it on the parkways with no lugging and no high RPM's. Change the oil and filter at 100 miles,then enjoy it.

What this does is to load both the top and the bottom of the rings forcing them out against the cylinder so that they seat evenly all around the circumference.

Also see this...

Break In For An Engine Upgrade - Harley Davidson Community

It's never too late in a young bike like yours to get it out and do the break in process as described. You can even do it on the way to the road you had plans to use if you are careful. The object is to load the rings on accel and decel both to seat them.
I'm a new guy in town and I have read what you said about "break in for Harleys". Well any way I'll say I've been doing the break in by the book "so I think" & I'm a little fustrated because I'm a new rider and waited 2-years for this bike & I wish I had come to this site before. Here's the issue I got the bike (2010 Fat Bob) with 6-miles and was told never to ride at a constant speed(which I dont), but I now have 407 miles on the bike & hope all is well.Think it may still do some good to do the 3rd. at 30-60 10 times? It's been a little hard to deep the rpm's down below 3500 with out a tack. Any more advice will be of great value. Thanks..

After you break it in just ride like you normally ride, just stay away from the redline for a while and no lugging.
Think it's a good idea to a tack, seeing that I'm a new rider- pipes just dont seem to be loud enough most of the time...

This break in procedure will work best if done when the bike is new but it can't hurt any doing it with your 400+ miles on it.

This break in procedure will work best if done when the bike is new but it can't hurt any doing it with your 400+ miles on it.
Glider:
I think maybe that the 30-60 in 3rd. gear may over rev the motor, what do you think the rpm's will be a 60 miles an hour in 3rd. gear. Think I should get a tack? Just to make sure I don't over rev the motor. I feel I had a hard time during the break in period with out knowing the rpm's. Another thing that may help me out is getting slip ons (mufflers) so I can at least hear the motor & just take it form there. Mufflers are another story- can you direct me to a slip on company that makes pipes & still keep the Harley sound? (not much is made for the Fat Bob as far as slip ons).
Thank's

Glider:
I think I sent my ressage to you in the wrong replay area, sorry! Can you give a look at the last repy I sent ?
Thanks and bear with me I'm new at this computer thing.

Also, don't forget to dump/change the oil when done...mine was already dark @ 120 miles. This way you get the "break-in" grime out & can run until the 1K service.

Back