free website stats program electra glide handle bars | Harley Davidson Forums

electra glide handle bars

talbot

I have a 1994 Electra glide that I want to adjust the handlebars on. There are covers over the handlebar mounts that I don't want to damage when I remove them.
Could someone tell me how to remove the covers?

I appreciate the answere, but that was not the question.
In my HD manual it does not tell you how to remove that chrome cap.
The same chrome cap that sits on top of the nut to loosen the handle bar. How does one remove it without damaging it.

Are dental picks required ??

The instrument pod had to be removed where the speedo is to access the bar clamps on most that have the bars going through the instrument pod. Two bolts in the rear and it hinges up and unhooks from the front.

Can't get the link to the right area to work. If you go go the link above and choose the year and model you have, it shows in the instrument section how to remove it. The different models come apart in different ways and to try to picture the setup you have is difficult for me to picture in my head to say the least. Most will require the fairing/nacelle to be opened to access the fasteners to remove the bar clamp cover.

Last edited:
I just finished browsing the HD manual. There are no chrome caps covering the bolts for the handle bar clamps on my 95.

I know what Talbot is asking as I have also seen these caps on other models.

I'llllll Be back.

Lets see if a picture is worth a 1000 words

One picture is a handlebar clamp that includes brass bullet caps that normally covers the bolt head.
The other picture shows regular chrome caps that are usually provided by bike manufactures as OEM.

Are these caps screwed in, glued, crush fit, magnetic.
How are they removed without damage ?

Attachments

• 33b956c4f20537f5d3be58d64a9a869c.jpg
    33b956c4f20537f5d3be58d64a9a869c.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 13
  • cap 94046_03_m_1c697190.jpg
    cap 94046_03_m_1c697190.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 9
Lets see if a picture is worth a 1000 words

One picture is a handlebar clamp that includes brass bullet caps that normally covers the bolt head.
The other picture shows regular chrome caps that are usually provided by bike manufactures as OEM.

Are these caps screwed in, glued, crush fit, magnetic.
How are they removed without damage ?

OK that's better now, they are just usually push on with that clip you see in the center holding them to the bolt. You can use a single edge razor blade at the very bottom where it contacts the clamp surface, this minimizes any scratching or damage to the cap itself. If they don't pop off like that with the blade then a fine blade screwdriver will take them off the rest of the way. Usually once you get them started they pop right off. A lot of them you can just grab and pull off with a rocking motion.

They could also be hot toppers that do not have that clip on the back and are plastic. Those should just press fit over the bolts or even a dab of silicone is used on some.

I thought you had the nacelle covering the bar clamp, that's why I was getting confused.

Back