free website stats program EFI Tuning question, | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

EFI Tuning question,

I ordered the tuner from Dobeck EJK Fuel Gas Controller Programmer EFI Tuner Harley Davidson Softail 2006. Now wondering if I should cancel it. The popping is more than just a couple of times, Here.s a shot of my old plug, These were only a couple of months old when removed.. BTW You guys are great, thanks for helping out

Plugs look as if it's running way to lean, If it were mine i'd add the Dobeck tuner. Dobeck will set it up for what you have and you can make any adjustments you want from there.
The tuner is easy to install and they're tech support is helpful if you have any questions along the way.

I think I found the problem,, Intake leak. Anybody know the approximate cost to repair at the dealership?

Not sure of their hourly rate, you may have to call and ask. Maybe check if you have any independent shops in your area that work on Harley's, price will most likely be cheaper.
You still may want to ad a fuel management system as Harley's run lean from the factory and it will also help it run cooler.

Kudos to the OP for digging in and finding the source of the problem. I should have mentioned checking for intake leaks in my previous post; intake or exhaust leaks will cause decel popping. I have two "built" Harleys; one carbed and one EFI, both tuned and there is no decel popping. from either. Some like to hear that noise but I hate it as it is a sign of a poor state of tune. A well tuned vtwin, particularly an EFI motor will not pop on decel. Of course, there could be a random pop on occasion but decel pop should not be a chronic condition. Adding a fuel management system will improve performance and can also bring down motor temps with a good tune as has been pointed out already.

An intake leak is a DIY repair and requires removal of the air filter and horn for access, which is restricted, and a modified allen wrench. Check the fasteners first to see if they have backed, re-tighten and check for leaks. If still leaking, the intake/throttle body will have to come out to replace the rubber seals. Time consuming because of the restricted access but not challenging.

Don't know what the shop rate is for this work but it shouldn't take more than two hours max.;)

A well tuned vtwin, particularly an EFI motor will not pop on decel. Of course, there could be a random pop on occasion but decel pop should not be a chronic condition.

You just contradicted yourself.:eek: post #7 explains decel popping pretty well. I've read other posts on other sites that pretty much explain it the same way.

A well tuned vtwin, particularly an EFI motor will not pop on decel. Of course, there could be a random pop on occasion but decel pop should not be a chronic condition.

You just contradicted yourself.:eek: post #7 explains decel popping pretty well. I've read other posts on other sites that pretty much explain it the same way.

No Jack, I didn't. Even a well tuned HD vtwin, like both of mine, can, on occasion pop on decel. Ambient temps, slamming throttle shut from cruise rpms, quality of fuel, compression, cam overlap, are a couple of reasons why. A random pop on decel does not reflect state of tune but chronic decel popping does. I would be remiss if I put it out there that a properly tuned motor will never pop on decel which is why I qualified my post. Never is a big word.:eek:

#7 is a good explanation of decel popping but if decel popping is chronic, something aside from the tune is exacerbating the conditions set out in #7; however, I maintain that a properly tuned motor, like mine, rarely pop on decel. I worked very hard on the carbureted all bore 107 (124TQ/110HP) to eliminate even a little decel popping. 1/8 of a turn on the A/F screw made a ton of difference in the process.

So, we will just have to agree to disagree but I have two properly tuned, performance built, HDs that do not pop on decel. Furthermore, if they do, the tune is not the source of the problem; something else, like an exhaust or intake leak is the culprit.;)

My comment was more tongue in cheek than anything else but at least you qualified your position that even a properly tuned twin v will pop from time to time depending on circumstances presented.
It's good that your highly tuned scoots never experience an occasional decel pop, most can't say the same thing.:p

Last edited:
My comment was more tongue in cheek than anything else but at least you qualified your position that even a properly tuned twin v will pop from time to time depending on circumstances presented.
It's good that your highly tuned scoots never experience an occasional decel pop, most can't say the same thing.:p

I do get a occasional pop on rapid decel from the carbed bike; rare but it happens. Never a decel pop from the 98" high compression EFI motor.;)

I think I found the problem,, Intake leak. Anybody know the approximate cost to repair at the dealership?

The HD dealership here charges $120/hr, billed in 1/2 hr increments. Shouldn't take any longer than 1 hr if that, on my 08 softail the intake is a piece of cake to get to.

Back