free website stats program EFI Tuning question, | Harley Davidson Forums

EFI Tuning question,

Doc Holiday

2006 Deluxe FLSTNI I have a slow speed miss and popping on deceleration. I've replaced plugs, plug wires, all filters air and fuel. The bike runs fine except at a low speed (25-30) through the neighborhood. My first set of plugs looked to be running lean. Contacted local HD service rep ( which is a miracle) about doing a checkup on the EFI says no fuel tuning needed since I replaced everything stock. I have a problem with that. Does anyone have a suggestions?

Is it stock? You may want to add a fuel management system to help with the running lean issue.
There are many systems to choose from and as a member here on HDT Dobeck Performance offers a discount.

Dobeck Performance, 877-764-3337 or 406-388-2377. Their techs are very helpful and will walk you through the process.

Did the problem present before changing plugs, etc.? Check exhaust manifold nuts; it doesn't take much for them to back off a bit and decel popping will present. I agree with the HD tech, if plugs, etc. replaced were all OEM components and the problem did not present before replacement, the replaced components are not the problem. EFI tunes don't change; however, inputs to the ECM can change and affect the state of tune.

If the OP is intersted in optimzing performance he should consider a flash tuner like the V&H Powervision and a full on dyno tune. MIght be time to pay the Harley tax and upgrade to hi flow intake and exhaust.;)

Is it stock? You may want to add a fuel management system to help with the running lean issue.
There are many systems to choose from and as a member here on HDT Dobeck Performance offers a discount.

Dobeck Performance, 877-764-3337 or 406-388-2377. Their techs are very helpful and will walk you through the process.

Yes its stock. I purchased it about a year ago and the miss was there. I first replaced the plugs using those E3 plugs with no help also filters etc. I pulled the plugs after a month or so and they looked to be lean. I replaced them with Iriduim plugs, replacement for 6r12 no better. I looked at the DT Dobeck Performance and may give them call

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes its stock. I purchased it about a year ago and the miss was there. I first replaced the plugs using those E3 plugs with no help also filters etc. I pulled the plugs after a month or so and they looked to be lean. I replaced them with Iriduim plugs, replacement for 6r12 no better. I looked at the DT Dobeck Performance and may give them call

Harley's are notorious for running lean, adding more fuel will help and you should also notice it running a little cooler.
The tech support at Dobeck is good, they'll help you dial it in for any modes you may make in the future.
Good luck.

It is true that Harley's come lean from the factory but they don't normally miss and backfire on deceleration. Not saying the Dobeck TFI won't correct a lean condition but the OP may be overlooking an underlying condition that is causing the problem. Might be a good idea to find the underlying problem before trying to tune.;)

Here's an interesting read on decel popping.

Re: Exhaust pop on decel. Rich or lean?
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2010, 06:49:42 pm »

I'll reprise my explanation from an earlier thread:

Expect some popping. Even a perfectly tuned engine will pop on decell if it has free-flowing exhausts. Some say it is from a lean engine, some say rich. I think it is a combination of tuning, valve timing and scavenging that results in combustion occurring in the exhaust pipe and/or being carried over to the exhaust when the exhaust valve opens.

If you think about the mechanics of what is going on upon decel, it makes perfect sense:
1. You start out with an engine that is turning high RPM with throttle that is open, flowing freely.
2. Next, you close that throttle. This has the effect of creating a vacuum in the intake manifold (CHOKE!).
3 The vacuum pulls air and fuel from wherever it can--including the ISC (or pilot jets on a carb)
4. Air will also take the path of least resistance--including sucking exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber during valve overlap (the brief period of time that the exhaust and intake valves are open at the same time. This is sometimes called reversion and can mess up what your autotune tells you. If you have free=-lowing exhausts, this is more probable than with fully baffled exhaust.

5. Now you have a rich mixture heading for the cylinder AND what little oxygen is drawn in is further diluted by gases that are coming back into the chamber from the exhaust valve. The result is poor, incomplete combustion! that lasts beyond the point where the exhaust valve opens. Depending on the temperature of the exhaust pipe and gases, reignition is possible once this mixture is introduced into a more oxygen rich environment. This produces the "pop."

Why does a lean running engine have a tendency to excessively pop? The exhaust gas temperature of a lean engine is substantially higher than one that is running on the rich side ( an EGT probe will show this). Therefore, the high EGT serves to heat the pipe more and the gases themselves become a much better source of re-ignition. By enriching, you are cooling down the exhaust temp and therefore reducing potential re-ignition sources. But at the same time, you are presenting a rich mixture to get the whole thing started.

Any 4 stroke engine--even those that are flawlessly tuned will pop on decel. It is harmless, but can be annoying.. However, I would never alter the tuning of an otherwise performing motorcycle to get rid of it. Go by the the color of your spark plug rather than the popping as an indication of the tuning of your scoot! It is normal. Annoying, but normal. Can be reduced, by trial and error, but normal.

Last edited:
Doc Holiday,

Those plugs do look like a lean condition exists. I would follow Dolt' advice first and check the manifold bolts when cold. Loosen the bolts until you can wiggle the fitting to try and re-seat the gasket. Tighten each to 18 to 20 in.lb. starting with the bottom nut 1/2 way then the top full and back to the bottom full. At one time I had a lot of decel popping and doing that cleared a lot of it up. When I added a fueler to mine that took care of the rest ad the bike does run cooler.
As Jeff's article points out you may (will) have occasional popping when everything is tight and perfectly tuned, don't let it drive you nuts:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back