free website stats program Edmunds says stop changing your oil. . . | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Edmunds says stop changing your oil. . .

My 06 Malibu gets new oil and filter every 3000-3500 miles. My 07 Softail gets oil changed every 3000 miles. Trans and primary oils get changed out every every spring. Which will be done in a couple of weeks. As has been stated, Oil is cheap, engines are not.

Depends on how you ride or drive, what you ride or drive. I use Amsoil & change it every 5000 oil & filter on my Harley. On my vehicles I use Mobil One & do them every 5000 oil & filter. But I work on Porsche's & Audi's & if they have a turbo & you use it, I would change it at 3000 miles with synthetic oil. Now if you drive 2-3 miles to work & shut it down & then 2-3 miles home, I would change it @ 3000. If you ride or drive like you stole it all the time I would go for the 3000. But if you change it like the manufactures are wanting you to change it, you will more than likely have problems with your engine gumming up. We get cars in all the time where they have gone their 10k oil changes & their oil lights flickering do to the screen getting gummed up. They want you to destroy your vehicle so you get a new one. Good luck

Toby

Who is "Edmunds"? Do they design and manufacture anything? Any petroleum engineers or mechanical engineers contribute anything to this opinion about oil changes? Sounds like some kind of Sierra Club propaganda to me, convince people to stop using fossil fuels and oil and help them to grenade their mean ole internal combustion pollution machines? My 2012 service interval is oil and filter change every 5k, I err on the side of caution at 3-4k. :wall

======================================================

OOPS! I forgot to mention, I really love how at least one manufacturer out there doesn't even want us idiots to even have the option to CHECK our oil level! I forget which one but I think it may be BMW that doesn't even provide a dipstick? I would never buy a vehicle that was designed to keep me out of routine maintenance! Anyone have the facts on this? Yep, trust the little idiot light folks, they NEVER fail!:wall

Last edited by a moderator:
At one time I changed oil in my vehicle every 3000-4000 miles. after the invention of the fuel injections systems, found it was not necessary. On my Cadillac STS, Ford F150, Nissan pickup, and Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, I change about once a year. Average anywhere from 6000 to 10000 miles each.
No engine related problem on either. I wised up......

Who is "Edmunds"? Do they design and manufacture anything? Any petroleum engineers or mechanical engineers contribute anything to this opinion about oil changes? Sounds like some kind of Sierra Club propaganda to me, convince people to stop using fossil fuels and oil and help them to grenade their mean ole internal combustion pollution machines? My 2012 service interval is oil and filter change every 5k, I err on the side of caution at 3-4k. :wall
l

Nope. Ford and GM engineers did the homework.

Back