free website stats program Edmunds says stop changing your oil. . . | Harley Davidson Forums

Edmunds says stop changing your oil. . .

YnotBiker

. . . every 3000 miles.

Stop Changing Your Oil! - Edmunds.com

I just read this article by Edmunds (the car people) that says that cars only need to change oil about every 8,000 to 20,000 miles. They say that today's motor oils can last much longer.

I use Mobile1 synthetic and change every 6,000 miles. At 6,000 miles my Harley feels good but the oil looks black and gritty. Am I wasting oil by changing too soon or abusing my engine by waiting too long?

:44:

On my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 the first oil change/service was at 6,000mi. That being said it is not an air cooled engine, so I think I'll stick to my 3,000-3,500mi on my Harley's.

On this side of the pond most modern cars have a 12000 mile recommended oil change using synthetic based oils older cars are 6000 miles with a dino oil but cars with their liquid cooling systems can control temperature very well

When i started out on motorcycles 1500 miles for an oil change now at 3000 but the air cooled engine is a much harder environment for the oil to work in

My boss does not believe in changing the oil in a car engine he currently has 3 cars 2 of which are having engine rebuilt due to failures caused by lack of lubrication 1 of which is having the third engine fitted they seem to last about 40000 miles without changing the oil

Brian

I'm fairly certain Ford recommends 7500 mi for my explorer (02 with 192K) but I have changed it between 4 -5k, no issues yet. My wife's F150 at 5k religiously.

My 08 softail at 5k as HD recommends, full syn.

I have 220K on my 99 Saab and switched to Mobil-1 Extended Performance at 54k on the clock which they claim can go up to 15k intervals. Close to 160k later and no issues whatsoever. Dropped the oil pan last summer and I was surprised at how clean the pan and the pick up screen were.

Now my bikes on the other hand are religiously changed at 3-3.5k intervals using Mobil-1 Synthetic......weird but for the $40 per bike twice a year at most, I'll keep changing them a little more often than the car :s

Oil is cheap a rebuild is not , change at 3000 miles and you don't have to worry about it . Even my Cadillac which uses Mobile one suggests every 3000 even when the owners manual say every 6000 .

Your rides, you decide. IMO oil has come a long way, that said everyone has his or her way of doing things:D

glider once told me/asking;

"Why do so many spend 20-25,000$ on a bike THEN cheapen when it comes to the Oil and Oil Changes?":newsmile077:

I say Use the BEST Oil , filters and Change them OFTEN...:guitar

signed....BUBBIE

Change oil at 3,000...both oil and filter at 6,000, out of economics and trying to save wear and tear on my body and the threads of the bike, just my way :s

Unless you are sending out your oil sample to a lab to get tested, you really don't know when to change the oil.

In my V-rod, I use Rotella T6 5w 40 synthetic. I sent the first sample out at 1K and then every 1K after that. At 8K the sample came back to change the oil, but with the V-Rod, it uses a shared sump system. I get about the same thing with my sportbike, 7K to change the oil. All of my cages have gone 15K before needed the oil changed.

With my 13 Ultra I have not had the testing done, I bought the extended service plan and keep up with the 5K service schedule. This summer I just might try and see how far I can go with the air cooled engine.

Back