free website stats program E Z Pull Clutch (big twins) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

E Z Pull Clutch (big twins)

I ordered the kit from BKRider.com and it came without any instructions of any kind. It's not that hard to figure out but without searching for info on the web, I wouldn't have gotten the thing installed. Especially be careful to install the cable spacer, you won't be able to adjust the cable without it.

FYI the bolts on my softail are 3/16" hex, not 1/4". Did not have to remove or even loosen the exhaust. Adjusted the clutch using Mr. Data's "easy clutch adjustment" method
and got it right the first time. The clutch is much easier, I will do lots of riding over the
weekend to test it. Thanks to Mr. Data and everyone on this site for all the good info, it's saved me a ton of time and money!!

My buddy told me that there was supposed to be a spacer on the cable.I think that was part of my problem.Awful hard to adjust the slack out without that :31:

Let us know how it turns out.

I have one of those ez pull kits if anyone is interested. But the truth is if you buy a ramp and ball kit for a 2006 and up FL, the ramp degree was changed to make it easier to clutch. Just buy a ramp kit.(it went from 17 degree to 21 degree)

John

Just installed an easy pull clutch kit on my 01 Softail. I can't believe how much easier it made my clutch pull. The one I installed is from Midwest Motorcycle Supply (part # 96-560). I found it in stock at one of our local motorcycle shops. I called the shop this morning to order the "Burly Easy Clutch" and while talking to the owner he told me about one he stocked from Midwest Motorcycle Supply that looked just like it. I drove up to take a look and it looked exactly like the "Burly" brand but was about half the price. ($10.95) He said he had installed dozens of them without any problems, so I decided to give it a try. After buying a quart of transmission fluid, a new gasket for the transmission cover and an O ring to go around the clutch cable my bill was $25.20 . I am by no means a motorcycle mechanic but am able to follow instructions if they are not too complicated. I came home and reviewed "Gliders" instructions for install on the Burly Easy Clutch( mine didn't come with instructions but looked just like the Burly) and got started. It took me about an hour and was easier than I thought. Thanks to everyone for all the advice, and especially to Mr. Data for the instructions and pictures.
A couple of things I did figure out was that it is a whole lot less of a mess if you drain the transmission fluid first (which I did ) and also to keep the three balls in place when you re-assemble the ramps they will easily stay in place if you just hold the transmission cover on its side. Also it pays to have a GOOD set of snap ring plyers (which I DO NOT HAVE YET) . That snap ring is a booger to get out with the cheap pair I have.
Thanks again for the help and input. This web site is a blessing and saved me the $60.00 the shop wanted to install.
Ride safe

It's a very worthwhile investment and softens the pull on the clutch very noticeably making it more enjoyable to ride in stop and go traffic. I put them in all my bikes.

I have installed many Burly easy pulls, mainly in the old days when nothing else was available, and used it as a last resort, the new Harley reduced effort clutch is far superior, unfortunately it does not fit pre 99's. But if you have installed a Burly easy pull think about sitting at a red light with the clutch pulled in while in first gear and what would happen if that little nut comes off the bolt or the little bolt breaks that holds the unit together, just hope there's no traffic at the intersection, also it only allows a few threads of the clutch cable to screw in with the spacer you must use, it creates a oil leak waiting to happen and if you tighten the cable end too much it will strip or break. It is a cost effective part, but I know what Harley means when they use the term cost effective and I want nothing to do with it.
Just my sincere 2 cents.

Back