free website stats program Dyna vs softail | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna vs softail

I've owned a 2006 Low Rider and currently have a 2007 Heritage Classic.

The best way to decide is to go ride them. That's how I decided on the Heritage.

I have a 99 fxstc ( the last EVO ), and my buddy has an 08 dyna (96").. his bike handles much better it is a lot sportier. bolting the motor and trans together helps tie the frame and make it more rigid.. i have a cam, pipes, intake, and thunderslide.. he has rush slipons, heavy breather, remap.. my dinos at 75hp, and 85tq. his is at 80hp, and 90tq...

his bike is new harley, mine is old skool harley, what kind of person is he new skool or old.. (i know it's not a ph or shovel just referring to technology differences)

i would not trade him if he asked, and actually had an HD dealer offer me a 2007 fxstc with heavy breather, V&H big radious, and 2500 miles for my bike and 3000$.. i turned him down, i just like my bike and have it the way i want it...

Any kind of a decent Father-in-law would just go out and buy him a new one.

Then he can spend his little money at the time on new stuff$$$ for it. JMHO:newsmile100:

A buddy of mine has a 2002 SofTail that has that counter balance engine. When that thing is running it's as smooth as a Metric engine. I had no idea anything that smooth and balanced had the Harley name on it. Still trying to figure out which models & why had counter balanced engines.

Now that is a twist. A "Soft" tail is rigid mounted. Mind you I have no clue what frame means what. Tks.!

Harley has used the Dyna as there go to bike for many years! Whenever Harley is going to do a major change in the drivetrain the Dyna always got the upgrade 1 year before the other bikes did!

The 88 cu in motor then the 96, then the 6 spd tranny!

The Dynas are a bit lighter,cost less, and handle a lot better the a Softail !

I dont even look @ Softails when I go down to the Harley shops in Denver ! Since the new Bright Red became available on the Glide both Street and Road it's hard to look at anything else!!
Softails are for people who havent ridden or owned a FLH or a Electraglide Yet !

If your Son in Law has to have a Brand New Bike have him look at the Superglide !

If he doesnt mind buying a nice low milage bike I would look for a "Electraglide Standard"
Harley droped this model because it was priced very low and they wanted to sell and finance bikes in the 18 to $20,000 range
That was by far the best deal Harley had available in the lineup! It was only 15 grand new!

Softails are for people who havent ridden or owned a FLH or a Electraglide Yet !

Pretty broad brush you're painting with. Softails are for people that like them. Might not be your "cup'a" but mine suits me just fine. And yes- I've owned just about every different frame design that Harley has to offer (Touring, FXR, factory rigid, Dyna, Buell and several old 4spd/swing arm frames) One thing to keep in mind on the rubber mounted engines is exactly that- the rubber mounts are one more thing to cause headaches. The rear swing arm bushings are another(Sta-Bo bushings anyone?). Neither one are a huge deal to address but they are there just the same. With new bushings, shocks/springs, fork brace and all mounts, my FXR handled like a dream. Dragging exhaust and pegs was pretty easy and I never felt it get out of shape in the turns. Prior to all that work it wasn't all that great. My Softail handles just fine. It's heavier than the FXR and doesn't handle the turns quite as well but it's all stock suspension wise.
Dynas are nice bikes. They offer a pretty solid "bang for the buck" and handle pretty good in stock trim. They are certainly not the end all, be all for everyone out there though.

My advice is for him to ride several scoots and see what fits HIM the best.
Aaron

Back