free website stats program Dunlop Tire models | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dunlop Tire models

Thunder...yep thats it. They had a display booth at the bike show here in Feb and I got the brochure. Always wanted to ride the Trail so I'll kill 2 birds on one trip.

For 2009 touring models Harley introduced the Dunlop D407F for the new larger wheel on the front and the D407 for the also new and larger and wider rear tire. After about 4 or 5 months the MOCO suddenly started putting a new D408F tire on the front of the touring bikes. Just by looking at it the tire tread pattern is reversed from the earlier D407 tire. If you ask dealers about this most haven't even noticed the reversed tread pattern but do notice it when they put an earlier and later bike side by side because it does stand out if you look at them.

As I understand it the tread pattern was reversed on the newer D408F tire because of cupping issues. So far there is no recall and when I talked to Dunlop about this they contend that the original D407F tires used on the front are fine and they see no reason for a recall. They also say that Harley came to them and asked that the tread pattern be reversed on the newer D408F tires.

Dunlop says they only make the tires to conform to the manufactuers specifications so if Harley wanted to recall the earlier tires that would be up to them, not Dunlop. I suppose if enough people complained about their D407F front tires starting to cup it might prompt a recall from Harley but I for one would sure not hold my breath till that happened. My experience with Harley warranty work is that unless it falls off on your first ride home or catches on fire, they are way too prone to deny a claim.

Thanks

With shipping from the US was it still cheaper than local ??

What size did you get? For which model/year bike ??

Jack

Here is the fitment guide on the Dunlop site. Just pick HD and slide down to your bike (04-08 FLTRI). Shows the D402s. They are different tires front and rear with an option on the rear between the MU85B16 and the MT90B16. I use the MUs on my bike.

Fitment Guide for Dunlop Motorcycle Tires

Bought mine here:

2007 Harley-Davidson Road Glide - FLTR Dunlop D402 Harley-Davidson Blackwall Front Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

Dunlop D402 Harley-Davidson Blackwall Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

TQ

Back