free website stats program Dunlop or Metzler? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dunlop or Metzler?

My Deuce came with brand new Metzler 880's front and rear. In two seasons of riding in temps between 25 degrees and 95 degrees, on wet (various degrees thereof) and dry pavement alike, I have to say that the Deuce will be getting another pair of the same! I have been very pleasantly surprised with the ride, the traction and the longevity. I ride some serious twisties and occasionally interstates. The tires take all in stride.

Just my opinion and my views......

I would agree with most, longevity and less wandering feel over grooves Dunlop. Handling and feel in the twisties Metzler...mainly due to the tire stickier rubber, tread pattern and rounded profile.

Of the two, probably Dunlop is "best" pverall value, as the tire "state of the art" is quite good these days regarding quality control, but there are nits in either brand statistically. And yes, Dunlops are "always in stock" or good deals may be had via Internet and doing a bit of wrenching yourself if you choose.

But next time I am thinking of trying Michelin...just because I like change and good cornering performance comes at a price I'm willing to sacrafice.

Buy American Buy Dunlop.

I am very happy with the handling of the Dunlops that came with my bike.

The Metzlers used to be made in Germany and were good tires. Now they make them in Brazil.

Glad to see that Dunlop still makes them in the USA and proud to have them on my bike.

IMG_0584.jpg

After 3 sets of Dunlops, I switched to the 880's. (I currently have 48,000 miles) the front (Dunlaps) always had plenty of wear left, but they cupped badly, I have 3,000 miles on 880 Metzlers, and very satisfied. No cupping showing yet. Will wait for final decision until after the season is over. Should have 8,000 to 10,000 hopefully. Then I'll know which way to go for next season. If I get consistent wear, and at least 7,000 to 8,000 miles out of the 880's, I'll stick with them. You just know they are gripping the road better. So far, very pleased.

yeah, I have to go with Dunlop....got an HD 402 on front, and a 404 on the back, still a pretty good amount of tread on both...I don't log as many miles on my Heritage as I would like, but I still like to get out and ride as often as possible. Everyone has their own preference, go with what works for you.

keep the shiny side up, rubber side down!!

I got Metzlers on now and I'm thinking they will go over 9k, 6 on them now and looking good. With that said, I'm going to go with the Elites next go round just to see if what I've read on them are true.

I realize this thread is over a couple months old, but I found it interesting just the same.

Here is my dilemma. I need a new rear tire soon on my 04 heritage. I mainly use it to commute 60+ miles a day on both interstate 94 and back roads. I ride in all types of weather, hot, cool, darn right cold, wet etc.

I have the 'lop 402 on the front and it looks like new.

Looking for best overall all around tire. I don't usually ride too hard and come into curves too hot, but once in a while....well its fun! 1 up riding all the time.

I have some problems in the twisties, and maybe it is my mentality, but seems like I don't trust the grip on the 'lops.

Back