free website stats program Dunlop D407 Replacement | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dunlop D407 Replacement

I just replaced the rear tire on my FLHX, it had about 16,500 miles on it and I probably could of got another 800 miles on it but didn't want to push it. I paid $382.00 out the door w/install. I about passed out when they handed me the bill.

The Dunlop 407 rear, dual compound tire is the most durable, all around, best wearing tire I have ever used in nearly 50 years of riding. Usually 8-10 miles for a rear tire is about all you can expect. I got 25,000 miles out of my D407 before replacing it with 3/32" left on the tread. That said, I was looking at a tire book at a local indy and found it listed replacement 407s for $189.00. It was a brand that I never heard of before. I believe the replacement tires are just starting to hit the market after the required 24 months exclusivity that Harley shops enjoy. I went with the D407 at the Harley shop because I know what to expect from it.

I had my front replaced with a 408 @ 5000 miles. The 407 rear is still looking good @ 6000. :)

when I was looking last week or so there are other replacements out there from AVON and others if you don't want the Dunlop.

dont know if dunlop makes the d 402 in the sizes for the 09 sg but the d402 on my 08 street glide have 20k on them and just now gettig ready to change them. dennis kirk had them both for a 100$ cheaper than a dealer. great tires

I just ordered a set of Dunlop's 408 Ft 407 Rt from a Metric Dealer.:small3d036:

The problem is they can only be had in Blackwall and not available until the middle of Sept.:p But for the cost saving worth it to me! :small3d035:

friend in st. thomas, ont. told me he just replaced his tires for the 3rd time on an '09 ultra. 45k on the clock. got a 408 f and a 408 r. is this something new? i've bumped my pressure up 2 lbs. to 38 f and 42 r to try and get some more miles here.

It might be interesting to get folks to post both the tire and the pressures they run. I've had cupping on car tires by knowingly running them at higher pressure for the gas mileage improvement. It was a known risk. Running lower pressure for the comfort caused the sides to wear out prematurely. Proper pressure is supposedly a balance between the two and causes the tire patch to be properly placed on the hard stuff.

Any thoughts on that?

Gary

The 407 is by far the best touring tire as far as mileage and longevity goes. Hopefully it will be offered in the aftermarket and with availabilty in different sizes and diameters. I would like to see a 17/200 and 18/200. Wishful thinking?:p

Ok so the dealer replaced my front d407 tire with a d408 at 14,000 miles but there is nothing wrong with the rear except getting low on tread depth. I am looking at getting another tire over the winter (28* this morning). My concern is there aren't many replacement tires out there and I have been really happy with this rear tire but I'd hate to replace it and that one start cupping and have no recourse...... Where I have the d408 on the front I really don't want to put a Metzler or something else on the rear or should I not be concerned about that?

Back