free website stats program Dry Sump or Wet Sump | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dry Sump or Wet Sump

Syn 3 is ok for an engine oil but best to use formula+ in the primary and a good gearbox oil in the gearbox
there are many choices of oil to use just find one that is suitable for the particular application and you should keep the bike happy

Brian

Like I said earlier this is my first Harley so your advice is greatly valued! Being that I already purchased the Syn3 can I use it in all three holes for the first 5k or should I use something else. Please forgive me for my ignorance on this subject but I don't want to hurt my bike. So I'm gathering that I can use the Syn3 in the engine but not in the transmission or chain drive? Your advice is appreciated and needed (Great Site!).....det45

Syn 3 is not a bad oil, but not for your tranny or your primary, use h D formula plus in the primary, and your choice of GEAR oil in the tranny, your bike will thank you

Me again,I had a lot of sometimes heated discussions over syn oils,,and,what I got on hear made a whole world of difference to the result of the conversations I had,and still have with the uninitiated in my club.There is no such thing as a perfect solution(oil) that will cope adaquately with the different lube scenarios in various parts of your engine.Synthetics are engineered specifically to do specific jobs,that means gear oil for trannys,engine oil for engines etc.Red Line ,is ONE of best available marks for your bike! Syn 3 is used by some in my club,and theres been no complaints I know of.But,on the other hand,it falls far short of desirable when you compare it to the performance you get from the more application specific synthetics .Check out the oil poll on here,that'll give you a clue as to whats best for your bike.

Back