free website stats program drive belt tension | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

drive belt tension

I agree. I prefer too tight over too loose.:p

I may be wrong but since they are fiberglass belted I would think making them too tight would be the worse thing you could do to them. Fiberglass will not stretch at all and would just result in a fiberglass fracture. Very similar to folding the belt around too sharp a radius. The fiberglass threads are too short for the outside circumference and just break.

I would think a bit loose would be safer. Since in order for the belt to jump cogs, it would have to be terribly loose I don't think that is even a worry to consider.

A little tight is going to wear the pulleys out in no time. Especially the rear aluminum one. You can not run a little tight and not have any wear. It's going to eat something up.

PCbunn,,, I re-read the chapter in my 2009 Dyna service manual on belts and see no where it saying a little tight is better than a little loose. It says that in the 2010 service manual?

Hoop is right regarding wear and tear on the belt and pulleys will be more of a problem being too tight. One other thing though, the new belts are made of Aramid and Kevlar (of bullet proof vest fame) which not only is brittle, but very abrasive and sharp (not that Fiberglass wasn't LOL) which means that once it starts to shred, serious damage and wear will result. Too tight is much more of a hazard than a bit loose.

Too Tight, may cause noise and rapid wear of pulleys and bearings, same problem for a chain drive, I have seen both cause problems

The new belts are made of Aramid and Kevlar (of bullet proof vest fame) which not only is brittle, but very abrasive and sharp (not that Fiberglass wasn't LOL) which means that once it starts to shred, serious damage and wear will result. Too tight is much more of a hazard than a bit loose.

Thanks for the Heads up on what they are actually made from. I thought they contained fiberglass.

Too Tight, may cause noise and rapid wear of pulleys and bearings, same problem for a chain drive, I have seen both cause problems

Even a properly adjusted belt (new showroom bike) feels Banjo tight to me. I can't imagine snugging it up a notch higher than that.

Even a properly adjusted belt (new showroom bike) feels Banjo tight to me. I can't imagine snugging it up a notch higher than that.

Amen to that, ever see a timing belt on a cage too tight, bad bad bad:D

Amen to that, ever see a timing belt on a cage too tight, bad bad bad:D

I think 1 time. I took the plastic timing chain cover off and saw powered rubber that you could rub together with your fingers and make little rubber balls. Was that a belt that was too tight?. The golden cam shaft pulley was grooved. This was way back when timing belts needed to be changed every 60,000 miles. (on a Honda) Then honda came out with the 100,000 mile belt.

I think 1 time. I took the plastic timing chain cover off and saw powered rubber that you could rub together with your fingers and make little rubber balls. Was that a belt that was too tight?. The golden cam shaft pulley was grooved. This was way back when timing belts needed to be changed every 60,000 miles. (on a Honda) Then honda came out with the 100,000 mile belt.

Dont want to hijack this thread but yes that was too tight it would damage the pulleys water pump and tensioner. I have Hot Rod kids put under drive pulleys on there cages and then bring them to my shop for me to tell them what went sideways they are almost always way too tight and I have to start all over again it gets ugly and expensive:p

I have found that Most belts on the New bikes on showroom floors are Too Tight IMO... I usually just Have to check them while looking at the new bikes..
In the old days, when I used to take my bike in for HD dealer to service, The First thing I RE-adjusted Immediately was the Belt, then the Throttle and finally the Clutch adjustment.... That happened years ago on a New bike and after TWICE,,, I said never again...
That got me started doing my First service Even If FREE...... Now, Under warranty repair, I make It Clear NOT to do any adjustments to my bike regarding "those" adjustments!!! I live Much Happier because I adjust my own to My Liking....

You probably know the feeling,,, Having your bike "Just Right" and then the service person Changes it to His way....

signed....BUBBIE

Back