free website stats program Drive Aware We’re Out There | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive Aware We’re Out There

Tatanka

Many motorcycle crashes can be attributed to the driver of the other vehicle not seeing the motorcyclist.

Why doesn’t the average driver see a motorcyclist? Motorists tend to look for other cars and trucks. In addition, because of its small profile, a motorcycle is harder to see.

A motorcyclist’s riding pattern also differs from that of other motorist. Traffic, weather, and road conditions often require motorcyclist to respond differently than other drivers.

You can Drive Aware of motorcyclist and the situations where crashes are likely to occur:
 Look our for motorcyclist
Be aware that although you may not see any cars or trucks, there may be an unnoticed motorcycle.
 Anticipate a motorcyclist’s maneuver
Motorcyclist may change positions within a lane to respond to road conditions, weather or other factors.
 Signal your intentions
Even if you don’t see cars in front or behind you, look carefully in all directions for approaching motorcyclists.
 Respect a motorcycle
Treat motorcycles as a full-sized vehicle with equal rights to the road. Give motorcycles a full lane.
 Allow plenty of space when following a motorcycle
The slightest contact can mean a spill and/or injury for the rider.

Drivers also contribute to motorcycle crashes where the motorcycle is the only vehicle involved. Drivers who unintentionally pull out in front of a motorcycle often force the rider to over brake, slide and fall.

Crashes are most likely to occur in these high-risk situations:

 Left Turns
The most common type of crash involving a car and a motorcycle is at an intersection when the automobile driver is making a left turn in front of a motorcycle.
 Car’s Blind Spot
Motorcyclists riding alongside a lane of cars are often out of view of the automobile driver. An unsuspecting driver may collide with a motorcyclist as the driver tries to change lanes.

 Hazardous Road Conditions
Motorcyclists have to be much more concerned about road surfaces than drivers do. Although road obstructions such as potholes, fallen tree limbs, or railroad tracks may be minor to drivers, a motorcyclist may have to slow down or change lanes to avoid these obstacles.
 Weather Conditions
When the road surface is wet or icy, motorcycles braking and handling are impaired.
 Strong Winds
A strong gust of wind can move a motorcycle across an entire lane if the rider isn’t prepared for it. Wind gust from large trucks in the other lane can be a real hazard.
 Large Vehicles
A large vehicle, such as a van or truck, can block a motorcycle from driver’s view. The motorcyclist may seem to suddenly appear from nowhere.

If you Drive Aware of motorcyclists in these situations, you can help make the streets and roads safer for everyone

Tatanka, while I agree with all your points here about what a driver SHOULD do to be more aware of a motorcyclists presence on the road... I also recognize that a lot of crashes are also the result of bikers either being sloppy or inattentive in their riding... being overconfident in their skills... no matter at what level, and thinking they can avoid any and all incidents no matter what, or the worst... figuring that the drivers out there ARE looking out for them, and should be.

I ride like I'm invisible... and I've got to keep an eye on each and every cage or truck I see rolling. Whether behind me, in front, or passing along side. I'm not going to trust their skills, or assume that they see me or not. I'd rather trust my own defensive skills instead. Much like I don't trust anyone else to ride my bike, I also don't trust the drivers in their cages to see me. These are the same folks that can hit a bus, or some enormous vehicle and say "I didn't see him/them coming...". I'm sure as heck not going to hope they see me on my smaller profile ride!

I agree, Ride like your invisible!
I recently installed a headlight modulator on my bike and I would swear that I have had more cars pull out in front of me as if I am invisible than before I installed it. I believe it is the mentality of the drivers today and even if I was in a hugh visible vehicle, they would take their chances and pull out in front of me anyway, so I Ride like I am invisible.

A friend who has been rideing for over 40 years and was a big influence on me getting a bike told me if I ever get to where I feel completely safe on a bike I should stop riding because when I'll get careless.

Never riding a bike until last August, I took the HD Riders Edge training. The instructor's couldn't stress enough about being aware of you surroundings. You literally have to become a human radar, seeing, analyzing, preparing, and taking action if needed.:bigsmiley31:

Well put.Ride like you're invisible and trust that 6th sense that most long term riders develop

That sensible but smarmy quote:"There's old motorcyclists,and there's bold motorcyclists;but there's NO old,bold motorcyclists!" is quite true. Think back to when you first started riding, and to how you ride now.A bit different, i'd be willing to bet.
Never trust anyone else on the roads.And that includes some two wheelers also.(sad, i know.):shock
Ride safe.

My friend says. "Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, keep your eyes open, cuz here we is.":MARYLAND:rider

i for one have been hit .iearned my wrenkle wings in1987
it was a dark night on I-14 in ind there wwas a y inntersection coming onto the highway i was riding on . the kid was supose to stop for a stop sign .but instead he shut off his head lights and ran the sign i was only a couple hundred feet ahead when he hit me from behind put me threw his windsheild then threw me on the pavement .my bike went on its side 150 ft until it hit a rode sign where it came to stop .the ind state police figured the kid to be doing around 70mph .also ind is a helmet right state so i wasnt wearing a helmet .but in my case the investigating officer said the type of accident i was in would have more then likely broke my neck if i was in a helmet (i guess im the execption to the rule )i suffered my spine being allmessed up ,10 stitches in the left side of my face ,road rash on a big share of my body .but i got better and i still ride .but inmy case there was nothing i could do to prevent getting hit .the truth is i didnt even relise i got hit until imanage to stop my self from tumbling down the highway ,he hit me so fast i didnt know what happened i thought i broke a chain and it locked up my rear wheel ,i didnt even see him coming do to the angel he entered the highway and with his lights off he didnt even show up in my mirrors .i was told i was hit by some passer by that stopped to help he until the cops &rescue unit should up .now i ride with loud pipes if thay dont see me thay will hear me (to any one who says loud pipes don t save lives tell me about it after you ben hit from behind by a car doing70 then preach to me about pipes)my accident was 19 1/2 years ago,and im still in the wind ,hoefully none of you will have to go threw this ,but if you do ,get right back up on your bike good adventures and bad adventures are all part of the lifestyle so grab the handle bars and hang on for the ride

i for one have been hit .iearned my wrenkle wings in1987

Hey roaddawg---- Sorry to hear about what happened to you and hope evrything is "healed-up" the best it could!! Glad to hear you are able to still ride!!!! What did the law do about the kid that caused it all?

Back