free website stats program Down-Shifing to 1st Gear | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Down-Shifing to 1st Gear

There's nothing wrong with "braking hard" on compression on the street. We are talking technique. Some have better technique then others. Alot of my technique comes from being on the track. I apply many racing techniques in my day to day ridng. One of then is compression braking.

Using the engine is assist your deceleration has many advantages. It allows you to slow down quicker. Has the advantage of being in the "right gear for your speed" (in the power band) if you need to accelerate. It allows you to set up for you turns quicker and gives you finer line control.

It is not hard on your drive line, as long as you are not near the rev limiter when you down shift, or end up lugging your motor is you decide to accelerate. A rev limter will not stop an over-rev situation created by you down shifting into a gear that's too low for your speed.

I also trail brake in corners. I apply leaning and weight shift techniques I learned from racing when riding on the street.

I have never had a drive line failure due to compression braking. I have taken all my Harleys, except the Shovelhead, to a track day and ran the snot out of 'em. How else are you really going to know just what your bike will do. (On the soap box) And this is very important when you need to use your emergency procedures that I know everyone practices (off the soap box). (Note to Glider; We need a "on the soap box" smile.)

I find it kinda amusing to read some of the myths about riding, and riding techniques that get circulated on Harley forums. Read some of the sport bike forums and you will really get a good feel on riding techniques and how they cross over from the track to the street.

To the question at hand, I down shift and compression brake thru 1st gear. There are other times, mostly on 2 lane roads, coming to a light/stop sign that I will pull in the clutch, hold it in, and down shift thru the gears down shift thru the gears as my speed matches the gear selected. It just depends on the situation.

Sounds exactly on target. I just finished Lee Parks Total Control Advance Rider Training. He is an ex-racer. We learned the exact things you speak about here. Trail braking, etc.... You can match the engine speed to the rear wheel speed by giving the throttle a blip when downshifting. It won't tear up your driveline. Stay in the right gear to match your speed for safety reasons.

Bonus points for SledDog!

On the truck relation, I would have to disagree. I use to drive truck for 10 years, owned my own, and I used the coast to a stop more times than not. I always figured less wear and tear on the tranny. It is easier and cheaper to replace brake pads than clutches and transmissions.

Gotta disagree. Anyone with race or even good street motorcycle experience knows about brake fade. Keep 'em cool, your tranny is your friend.

Downshift to slow the bike when possible. It's not the same for going into corners on a race track as the street though. On the track for some corners you would brake hard and with clutch in step down a few gears at once so you hit the right rpm and gear for coming out of it. I rarely step down through my gears this way on the street. One at a time there.

Back