free website stats program double clutching | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

double clutching

my sporty does that now and then too ,only in first gear and repeatedly until its shiftd into 2nd. it will burn the tire in 2nd and stand up in 3rd lol. iv had the trany out and apart afew times and adjusted the shifter pawl and clutch many times ( more and less ). and ran it through the gears on the bench . never did figure it out lol i think its a problem with a shift fork or the barrel. please post the fix if you figure it out
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly! now that makes three people with sportsters with the same inherent problem yet it is a mystery to the H-D dealer. As i mentioned earlier i guess im going to have to take it to H-D and hold my breath. Even though they had no idea what it was they estimated a minimum of $450 to fix. Thanks for your input and I will post the fix asap.

Exactly! now that makes three people with sportsters with the same inherent problem yet it is a mystery to the H-D dealer. As i mentioned earlier i guess im going to have to take it to H-D and hold my breath. Even though they had no idea what it was they estimated a minimum of $450 to fix. Thanks for your input and I will post the fix asap.

MINE being a XL R 2006

The tranny b-4 06 at least had a easier way to get into the tranny.... NEWER 06 n UP have to pull the engine apart...no longer have the tranny side plate to access the gears... NO IMPROVEMENT THERE... I would of dropped a 6 speed in mine if it was the old style 05 n before...

MAKE sure they are not QUOTING for the NEWER MODEL(engine split).....
Sounds a bit much and I would get a second opinion anyway...

I rather used a QUALIFIED hd mechanic but working in his own shop for a lot LESS $$$$ THEY ARE OUT THERE... ? LOOK

signed....BUBBIE

any word man?
WAP.gif

any word man?

WAP.gif

THE WORD I THINK IS:

WHEN you shift bike to FIRST.... HOLD the shifting lever THERE (down) and TIGHT until the shift FEELS COMPLETE and bike is running in that gear.... MY bikes have HAD what is called here "double-clutch" AND is nothing MORE THAN in-n-out THEN BACK INTO gear ..... giving a jerk motion like clutch in-out.... while going back-forth into the NEXT COG.. SKIPPING in and out and in again....... and PROBABLY nothing more..

**SOLVING PROBLEM without getting into the (fine) adjustments....

I hold FOOT shifter tight UNTIL WELL INTO THE GEAR AND BIKE IS UNDER WAY....
JUST the way I've been taught MANY years ago when bike shifters and tranny weren't as GOOD as TODAY.....

I remember my 6 speed I installed into the 2000 dyna....

LOW(1) gear never had ENOUGH throw and was VERY TIGHT on the adjustment....**

**KEEPING the foot shifter TIGHT into the shift position ,,,,, I could feel the tranny SUCK it's self INTO the gear FULLY

EVEN on my 09 FLHR i use the same shifting practice**(HOLD SHIFT POSITION TIGHT until well into the gear)......
Every NOW n THEN I FEEL it SUCK FULLY into gear....

I'm sure OTHERS MUST OF BEEN TAUGHT THIS** SHIFT PRACTICE ALSO....

If NOT ,,, TRY IT NOW and your ride will IMPROVE..... going FULLY into gear the first time.....

signed....BUBBIE

Back