free website stats program double clutching | Harley Davidson Forums

double clutching

bobby

i have an 02 883 that double clutches on its own in first gear only. used to do it only when it was cold now quite frequently. gives the sensation of jumping in and out of gear. my brothers did the same thing so i assumed it was a common problem however dealer could not readily diagnose. any ideas?
thanks

Something sounds amiss there. It should not jump in and out of gear if everything is adjusted properly and no parts are worn or broken.

Last edited:
it gives the sensation of jumping out of gear its not actually jumping out its double clutching but it only does it in first gear?

it gives the sensation of jumping out of gear its not actually jumping out its double clutching but it only does it in first gear?
Double clutching? I thought double clutching was with old trucks ~ cars (no synchro's) or big trucks, where you push clutch pedal in to pull it out of gear and then release the pedal, re-press pedal and push it into the next gear of choice. I've never heard of double clutching a scooter. Either I don't understand what you mean or you don't. Please, for my benefit, could you explain it a little more. Maybe I can learn something new in the process.
I think glider is on the right track when he says:
"Re: double clutching
Something sounds amiss there. It should not jump in and out of gear if everything is adjuster properly and no parts are worn or broken."
I think he should have said:
Something sounds amiss there. It should not feel like it's jumping in and out of gear if everything is adjuster properly and no parts are worn or broken."

Perhaps its a wee bit of clutch slip when you first select 1st gear if after that all is well id look at the oil level and grade of oil in the tranny best oil would be the hd stuff that is formulated for the sportster transmission

Brian

Back