free website stats program Do You Whistle | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do You Whistle

669 you are soo rite about the Rutt , One morning on the wey to work ,I had a doe pop out in front of me I slowed down but she had a buck in full chase rite behind her she got by me but the buck decided to use the hood of my car as a spring board to continue his chase, on another morning during the rut on my wey to work a buck walked out rite in front of me while I was on my bike ,So I stopped about 30 yards from him to let him cross he turned towards me grunted put his rack down and started at me ,I was like (EDIT) ,the only thing I could think of was to rev my engine ,when I hit the throttle he stopped looked and then decided that he was still bigger and bader then me and put his big 8 rack down and made another charge this time I reved my engine to 4 grand thank god he got second thoughts after the 4 grand rev , to this day I wonder what the outcome would be if he continued on his charge.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that very few deer turn back from the path they came from they almost always continue across the road.

I have heard that too. That if you see them on the side of the road and they start moving forward that they usually don't stop and turn back the other way. Not sure how true that is but I've always told myself - self, if you see one and he happens to start moving into your direction of travel, swing in behind him if you have to evade. Hopefully I'll remember to do that if'n when I ever have to go into evasive maneuvers for a deer encounter.

Also...something that was reinforced on another thread here way back when...slow it down. Especially when you get into a posted deer crossing area.

That's what I was thinking and being from Wisconsin you should know about deer.........

Not knowing much about deer here in SoCal...I prefer "eating 'em" rather than scaring them away...:rofl

As for noise scaring them away..."--loud pipes save lives..." (within reason of course)! The only whistle is the sound that passes my lips after a near miss...never considered "ducking" as an evasive maneuver...change of clothes optional...yikes! :s

Last edited:
There was a set already on a Lincoln I had once and I never hit any deer. That doesn't mean they work though. I would not pay for the things or put them on anything I own.

I had a set of "deer whistles" on one of my previous bikes. Never did hit any deer...but then I didn't hit any elephants either. As has been said...save your money

That's what I was thinking and being from Wisconsin you should know about deer.........

I too am from Wisconsin and like Top just send me the money and I will conjour up something. Seriously, a friend put them on his bike and that very night he hit a 8 point buck. It looked up from feeding and then just ran straight at him. Bam..he was ok, the scoot was banged up and the buck had parts of the bike imbeaded in his body. We found it the next day and terminated his suffering. Moral of the story is safe you money.

OK......I have upgrade the headlight, and will be taking it easy on the road. I'm not a board dragger by any means so I'm saying the whistle money for a cold brew........after I park the bike. Thanks guys.

Hi Reefrider, as i read
The hearing range of white-tailed deer, the most common species in the United States, is between 2 kHz and 6 kHz, so the animal is not capable of hearing the 12 kHz signal of deer whistles also your loud pipes sounds is low frequency i think the best way is being slower

Original source

Deer-Whistles Ineffective,
Says Bioacoustics Researcher
By Janice Palmer

Slow down! Deer crossing. It's a warning to be heeded this time of year. Deer are on the move during late fall and early winter, either because it's hunting season or because they are seeking a mate.

On the highways and byways across North America, nearly 750,000 collisions occur each year between deer and vehicles. Efforts to reduce that number have spun off a multi-million-dollar industry: deer whistles.
Image: Peter Scheifele
Peter Scheifele, director of bioacoustics research at the National Undersea Research Center, conducted a scientific study of deer whistles.

Photo by Shannon McAvoy

Scheifele, an animal bioacoustics and audiology expert, wanted to know more about the devices, so he and his research team scientifically tested their effectiveness.

The small plastic whistles, easily attached to car bumpers, hit the marketplace several years ago. Some are sold for as little as five dollars. They vary in design, but their claims are relatively the same. Their manufacturers promote them as "acoustic attention-getters", alleging deer would react to the whistle by remaining still.

"There has been a lot of conjecture about whether the whistles work or don't work, and we are one of the first independent groups to scientifically test them," says Scheifele, director of bioacoustic research at the National Undersea Research Center at Avery Point and a researcher in the Department of Animal Science.

He and his team tested six air-fed whistles in the laboratory and in the field. The study's goal was to determine the actual frequencies generated by the whistles and the intensity at which they are produced, compare that data to the hearing abilities of deer, and then take the animal's acoustic behavior into consideration.

Following the directions on each package, the team mounted the devices onto a car's front bumper. Using a road closed to the public, they drove the car at speeds ranging from 30 to 45 miles per hour while recording sound and data.

"We tested them strictly from an acoustical point of view," explains Scheifele. He found that the whistles typically produce a signal either at a frequency of 3 kilohertz (kHz) or 12 kHz. Both, as it turns out, are problematic.

The hearing range of white-tailed deer, the most common species in the United States, is between 2 kHz and 6 kHz, so the animal is not capable of hearing the 12 kHz signal.

Although deer may be able to hear the 3 kHz signal, it is only 3 decibels louder than the road noise created by the car, so the signal is buried. Scheifele points out that the situation would be worse with additional traffic in the area or if the wind was blowing.

Since completing the study, a new electronic whistle has been put on the market. Although Scheifele has not had an opportunity to test it, he has examined its advertising claims. He says the specs for the electronic whistle are considerably different from those of the air-fed devices, so "there is a possibility that the electronic whistle is more effective than the air-fed devices."

But even if deer can hear the electronic signal, the UConn scientist questions how one alerts rather than startles the animal. This is where animal behavior comes into play.

"Think about the metaphor 'deer in the headlights'," says Scheifele. "It is used to conjure up an image of someone who is confused or frightened. When deer sense something unusual, we do not know for sure how they are going to react."

Will they freeze in their tracks, run off, or charge towards the sound? Their behavior is related to the "fight-or-flight response". According to scientific literature on the subject, there is an amount of space in which an animal feels safe, but once that boundary is violated, the animal's reaction is unpredictable. Its response will depend on a number of factors, including age, sex, type of enemy, and surroundings.

"All in all, the air-fed whistles do not make sense to me acoustically, " states Scheifele.

He has written a paper on his findings and submitted it to the Acoustical Society of America's Acoustics Research Letters Online where it will shortly be
Thank you for that thorough explanation. I always thought they were a waste of money. Like you said 'fight or flight". It is that uncertainty that is cause for concern.

Back