free website stats program Do you lock..... | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you lock.....

Lock it or lose it; I've been locking one bike or another for about 45 years ,it makes sense get in the habit. Also whenever possible I park my scoot where I can see it . LIVE AND LEARN

I lock my tourpack & side bags but usually just rely on the FOB....unless I'm parked in a less-than-desireable place, when I'll lock her up w/ the key.

I once had a bike that was stolen while parked over night in my driveway. The bike was locked with a 3/8" case hardened chain thru the front wheel to a steel post. The theives just snapped the chain and rolled the bike away. Since then, I always lock my fork and front wheel using a "Roadlock". Unlike a common rotor lock, which can cause damage to the bike if I forget to remove it and is easily defeated. The roadlok is permenantly installed on one of the fork legs and once the lock pin is installed, the wheel will not move at all. A theif would have to lift the bike away which is highly unlikely since most motorcycle theft is roll-away. If I forget to remove the lock pin and try to ride off, all that will happen is the engine would stall. Since this is my first post I can't provide you with a link to their web site but you can google roadlok and you can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that my Tourpak closes tighter when I lock it and it seems to vibrate less at highway speed when I have it locked. Since noticing, I too, lock my bags and tour pak.

It's like Fort Knox at the house. Every bike is locked to another one, thru the frame. I use Cobra Links. You want 'em, you'll have to defeat my building alarm (no alarm company here, it's direct to the police station), and be sure to bring a cutting torch. On the road, cable lock (1.5") thru the frame to another bike. Or cable lock thru the front wheel and frame.

Neck and ignition locks are a joke. So making it look difficult is what counts when you are on the road. At a motel, if I can get it in the room, that's were it goes.

Last edited:
out and about...ignition and fork lock plus a tempered steel heavy duty chain and padlok to anything or thru the forks and frame.I park it in a secure basement car park,but still chain her to one of the steel posts holding the building up.At a biker do,closed to the public,dont need to lock anything,my Brother and sister bikers are the only ones left on this planet I trust.

Never lock my bike but there is a good probability that it could happen. I wonder if insurance would replace the bike....:33:

Last edited by a moderator:
out and about...ignition and fork lock plus a tempered steel heavy duty chain and padlok to anything or thru the forks and frame.I park it in a secure basement car park,but still chain her to one of the steel posts holding the building up.At a biker do,closed to the public,dont need to lock anything,my Brother and sister bikers are the only ones left on this planet I trust.

Be careful who you trust. I've seen helmets, jackets, bike parts and bikes come up missed at a "closed" biker do.

Back