free website stats program Do you let anyone sit on your Harley? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you let anyone sit on your Harley?

i let my freinds that i ride with sit on mine and even ride it. knowing that if anything happens im leaving with their bike till mine is the way i left it. never a problem yet. they respect it like their own.

I dont understand something. Does no one get there bike worked on?

Thats a little different IMO .When I was waiting for my bike at Kitchener Harley I noticed they were pushing all the customers bikes around when I asked why? I was told They do not sit on or ride customers bikes unless the customer asks them to to pinpoint a specific problem

I dont understand something. Does no one get there bike worked on?

Yes, but hopefully the garage is insured.

The trouble with non bikers is that they seem to feel they gotta fiddle with stuff or act like they are racing your bike, I just don't trust non bikers even sitting.

I learned to never let anyone, except sidecar drivers, drive my rig because of the sidecar... I let a friend try it out and he almost wiped out my car on the street and the sidecar, because he forgot the sidecar was there.:newsmile057:

Respect of people and property are paramount. I would never touch or sit without asking and I expect the same in return. However, I do get tickled at all of the keyboard cowboys that talk smack about killin someone over this kind of thing. I show cars and we have the same problems at car shows etc. How many have ever come out of a store and found a dent or scratch in the side of your car? It just ain't right ! Lot's of people just do not care, or respect what they don't have to work for. Annoys me just like everyone else, I try to educate them quick when I see it.

Biker friends yes, strangers no, uninvited no. We even trade bikes on the ride.
This is how I feel aswell.

I would say that anyone who is my friend and in my home, I would not have a problem, nor would it even cross my mind if they sat on the bike. Considering that anyone I really know, pretty much knows thier way around a bike anyway. Now I would have a serious problem, say the garbage man walked up the driveway and sat on the bike.

The sign would be a good idea, but do you really think someone dumb enough to sit on a mans scoot would really care? Or do you think they honestly don't understand how we feel about these bikes?

Strangers when it's parked; forgettaboutit!

But, when I meet a non HD rider, friend or not, that has made the effort to ask me about my bike, I become the Jr. Ambassador of HD and will answer questions, and if they've ridden before, let them sit while I am holding and show them the low center of gravity HD provides.
Of course, check their boots and show/help them lift a leg without scratching.

We were all rookies once.

Strangers when it's parked; forgettaboutit!

But, when I meet a non HD rider, friend or not, that has made the effort to ask me about my bike, I become the Jr. Ambassador of HD and will answer questions, and if they've ridden before, let them sit while I am holding and show them the low center of gravity HD provides.
Of course, check their boots and show/help them lift a leg without scratching.

We were all rookies once.

JWW, I like your Avatar...luv that vibrating engine. Don't like it when strangers try when parked, but like you, always promote positive image by letting them, after I show them how I grab my right heel, and control the leg to clear everything. Have to be extra careful if the person is "small in stature like me" as the bikes' weight is intimidating, even with the seat height low. :23:

I'm a big believer in the "look but don't touch" philosophy. Of course with my riding buddies it's a little different but they wouldn't dream of sitting on my bike without asking first and vice versa.

About 25 years back when I rode a Yamaha, I came out to find my bike knocked over in the parking lot and a turn signal smashed as a result. Turns out the culprit was a ten year old boy as his mother thought it was "cute" that her little boy wanted to climb on the motorcycle.

Mom couldn't understand why I was so (edited) but agreed to pay for a new turn signal. Of course when I took her the bill (about $25.00 as I recall) she then made a big deal about how that was too expensive blah blah blah...

She eventually paid for the damage but perhaps thats why to this day I am a little wary about anyone going near my motorcycle.

The average person doesn't appreciate that a motorcycle is something special and they are likely to approach it with the same loving care that they show their own car when they fling their door into the side of yours in the parking lot.....

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back