free website stats program Do it myself with Thunder Max or pay HD for Mods? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do it myself with Thunder Max or pay HD for Mods?

Only thing I would be concerned with is warranty issues if it's brand new..
Does anyone know the impact on the warranty? I even got the extended warranty and heard ANY mods impact it. I may cancel and use the $1800 for these basic mods.

Does anyone know the impact on the warranty? I even got the extended warranty and heard ANY mods impact it. I may cancel and use the $1800 for these basic mods.

Working on your own bike does not void the warranty. It's a scare tactic the dealers use to get the business. They have to prove that what you did contributed to the defective part if there is one.
Some stealers tell the customer that any work they do will void the warranty. If in doubt, call the MOCO and they will confirm it.
Save any receipts for oil/filters and document when it was done and what you did.

Dealers And The Magnusson-Moss Act - Harley Davidson Community

Another thing is HD changed the size of their o2 sensors in 2010, they're
12mm I believe, Thundermax and PC are still out with 18mm WB sensors, you will have to weld new bungs in to use the auto tunes. I am at that point, PC V with no auto tune for this very reason. I bought new V&H Power duals and will have to have the new bungs welded in closer to the heads to use the WB sensors.....UGH

Wow 12mm. That is 1 small O2 sensor... I wonder why they did that. You can get 18mm wide band sensors so why would they change the size...? Makes for a lot of extra work.

Wow 12mm. That is 1 small O2 sensor... I wonder why they did that. You can get 18mm wide band sensors so why would they change the size...? Makes for a lot of extra work.

You got me,Pretty sure they are 12's(could be 14), at first I was (EDIT) that V&H had the ports located so far down the pipes away from the heads but then realized they did that so the factory o2 sensors would reach the bungs. Found a dynojet guy not too far away, I will be going that route instead of pulling the pipes back off and welding.

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the thing for the OP. SERT is NOT offered on 10 bikes (nor 09s). Moco sells SEST, which by all accounts on other forums have some issues. TTS mastertune, on the other hand DOES support 10 bikes and can be tuned in Lambda. (09s tune in AFRs).

I went with TTS for my 09, based upon this AND that the SEST keeps having issues.

Check it out anyways. I have friends with Tmax, and they like them, but with Toyota, etc having DBW issues... I just could NOT make myself trust it quite yet. I think the Delphi WITH O2s is the way to go. Why go 'backwards' with the PCV, for example, and LOSE the O2s? Just my opinions, tho.

based upon this AND that the SEST keeps having issues.

Are these "issues" something you actually experienced. Based on your statement it sounds like they are. I have been using my SEST every few weeks for a full year and have not experienced any problems at all.

If there are problems that you know of, let us all know what they are so we can be ahead of the curve..

mastertune, on the other hand DOES support 10 bikes and can be tuned in Lambda. (09s tune in AFRs).

With SEST 2010 software you Can tune in Lambda. Unless your jumping from fuel type to fuel type I don't know why you would want to ,,,but you can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
TTS does in fact tune Lambda. I do NOT know what a Lambda 'probe' is except to think you are referring to the O2 sensors on the bike? Yes, the TTS will v-tune those areas.

I am used to AFR, but Lambda is the way of the future, I guess.

SERT and SEST are two completely different tuners made by two different companies. TTS is made by the folks that made SERT... The Turbo Shop. Cannot remember who makes todays SEST.

SEST has a habit of locking up the PC it is hooked to. This while doing Dyno runs. Error message is No Lan... and tuners call this Nolan.

Other than that, for Dyno work... SEST inputs data as good as TTS and SERT.

Self tuning is a bit different, though... WIth TTS... the 'work' is more tedious, with v-tuning, than with SEST. But, one PICKS all the values, as opposed to the SEST picks it for you. Aslo, with SEST... closed loop IS 14.6 NO MATTER WHAT ONE SETS THE CLB's to. This is seen time and again with AFR meters.

Here's some more food for thought. With a SERT tune your fuel mgmt system if turned on will still work so if your in a hot condition the rear cylinder will quit firing to help keep your engine cool.

The thundermax is replacing your ecm with theirs and they do not have that feature built in. It gets to hot, a light comes on and you pull over to let the engine cool.

How do i know that? I had a thundermax on my 06 Ultra that had a zippers 120 engine in it that would get hot and I lost count of how many times I had to pull over at motorcycle rallies.

So if your not going to be making lots of changes I would do a SERT Tune and forget about it. Or look into some of the other methods mentioned here which will still allow the ETIMS system to fuction as designed if turned on

SEST has a habit of locking up the PC it is hooked to. This while doing Dyno runs. Error message is No Lan... and tuners call this Nolan.

Aslo, with SEST... closed loop IS 14.6 NO MATTER WHAT ONE SETS THE CLB's to. This is seen time and again with AFR meters.

Two Very good points and I will admit you got me on this one. "Nolan" is a problem. It has happened to me a few times and it did jam up the works....and it was not even on a dyno.
And Yes, closed loop will always be 14.6 due to the fact the SEST uses Narrow band O2 sensors.

Indeed your point is now very well taken and now I understand what you meant by "issues". Sorry, I did get a little agressive when I heard the word "issues". I now actually can add a couple myself. Overall SEST is not a bad tuners but I agree you must hang an Infra-red or wide band exhaust analyzer on top of it to really be able to tune. That is a must.

Back