free website stats program Do harley heated gloves really work good??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do harley heated gloves really work good???

[QUOTEI know absolutely nothing about steelhead fishing, but two things come to mind:
1.) If you steelhead fish from a boat, do you have a battery? You could easily hook up to that for running them on high for much longer if you wanted. I have thought about something like this for my wife. She loves to hunt whitetail (took her first this year) but the cold really bothers her, obviously. I thought about buying a cheap deep cycle battery and running some wires up to her tree stand to plug in her Gerbing heated clothes (gloves, jacket, pants, insoles). Sounds a little overboard but to me, if you have a wife that likes hunting as much as you do, it is a good thing to keep going.
2.) You may want to think about putting "fishy" hands in a heated glove.[/QUOTE]

Porter,
Now there's an idea to stay warm while hunting. I will think about trying that next year.
Russell

Re: I've got both HD and First Gear

Prefer First Gear though. They feel warmer and are thinsulate insulated as well as fully waterproof and windproof. They are 60.00 cheaper w/o the HD logo.

Those logos are expensive on whatever product :D My Metro Airforce Pet Drier was a lot cheaper than the same HD model, even though HD do not actually make anything. The product is exactly the same specification.

I have used Gerbing gloves and found them to be very effective.

They last pretty much how Watchguy described, but I will check with my wife to be sure. (I don't really think about it, since I don't use them and she has a routine that works for her.) I believe she runs them (batteries) on the low setting and gets about 5 hours out of them. But she is walking around or sitting: not riding with the wind blowing on them.

I know absolutely nothing about steelhead fishing, but two things come to mind:
1.) If you steelhead fish from a boat, do you have a battery? You could easily hook up to that for running them on high for much longer if you wanted. I have thought about something like this for my wife. She loves to hunt whitetail (took her first this year) but the cold really bothers her, obviously. I thought about buying a cheap deep cycle battery and running some wires up to her tree stand to plug in her Gerbing heated clothes (gloves, jacket, pants, insoles). Sounds a little overboard but to me, if you have a wife that likes hunting as much as you do, it is a good thing to keep going.
2.) You may want to think about putting "fishy" hands in a heated glove.
Five hrs. is plenty of time. Especially if they are not on all the time. I would just want them to regenerate some heat back into my Raynaud Syndrome hands. My hands can't seem to generate enough heat on thier own when they're cold. They need an external heat source. Right now I use the Hot Hands that come in a packet. Pretty reasonably priced for 18 hrs. of continous heat.
Good point about the "fishy hands" Wouldn't want to ruin an expensive pair of gloves an have them stinkin' like fish! :p

Five hrs. is plenty of time. Especially if they are not on all the time. I would just want them to regenerate some heat back into my Raynaud Syndrome hands. My hands can't seem to generate enough heat on thier own when they're cold. They need an external heat source. Right now I use the Hot Hands that come in a packet. Pretty reasonably priced for 18 hrs. of continous heat.
Good point about the "fishy hands" Wouldn't want to ruin an expensive pair of gloves an have them stinkin' like fish! :p

Well, if you have Reynaud's, you are pretty much stuck. The blood vessels constrict so much you just can't push enough blood through. One thing I have heard of, but never tried (yet): I saw a study where the theory was that you hands and feet get cold due to the body's reflex of conserving heat. Your body shunts heat from the limbs and keeps it in the core to protect the brain and organs. Some people are obviously more sensitive to this and/or they have a "malfunctioning" reflex. The theory was to try and fool your body, so they placed "hot packs" in a vest on the chest and back of some volunteers BEFORE they got cold. (As in, prior to them going into the -20C walk-in freezer). As long the packs were warm, the volunteers hands and feet never got cold. In fact they were able to do fine motor skill tests, without gloves (moving ball bearings with tweezers and picking up small nuts with their fingers). If I remember correctly they went for 3 hours at -20C for the study. The study was to find ways to keep construction workers warm on oil rigs, construction sites, etc in the arctic and be able to use their hands with thin gloves to fix things. The idea is that the heat, close to your skin, around your core (like a Gerbing vest on HIGH???) tells your body you are "too hot" and to cool down, it turns on the "radiator" (your limbs). The key was starting it before you even feel cool. Once your body starts to vasoconstrict, it is apparently hard to counteract. So, if this is true for most people, the best "cost approach" may be to buy a heated jacket liner or vest first (as opposed to gloves) and see if it works with a regular pair of gloves. (you still have to protect against frostbite and windchill). I bought the gloves first and then saw this study. As soon as the ice clears I think I will give it a try.

Last edited:
Good post Porter and interesting hypothesis...:newsmile078:keep us informed as to your findings!!!:hii

Well, if you have Reynaud's, you are pretty much stuck. The blood vessels constrict so much you just can't push enough blood through. One thing I have heard of, but never tried (yet): I saw a study where the theory was that you hands and feet get cold due to the body's reflex of conserving heat. Your body shunts heat from the limbs and keeps it in the core to protect the brain and organs. Some people are obviously more sensitive to this and/or they have a "malfunctioning" reflex. The theory was to try and fool your body, so they placed "hot packs" in a vest on the chest and back of some volunteers BEFORE they got cold. (As in, prior to them going into the -20C walk-in freezer). As long the packs were warm, the volunteers hands and feet never got cold. In fact they were able to do fine motor skill tests, without gloves (moving ball bearings with tweezers and picking up small nuts with their fingers). If I remember correctly they went for 3 hours at -20C for the study. The study was to find ways to keep construction workers warm on oil rigs, construction sites, etc in the arctic and be able to use their hands with thin gloves to fix things. The idea is that the heat, close to your skin, around your core (like a Gerbing vest on HIGH???) tells your body you are "too hot" and to cool down, it turns on the "radiator" (your limbs). The key was starting it before you even feel cool. Once your body starts to vasoconstrict, it is apparently hard to counteract. So, if this is true for most people, the best "cost approach" may be to buy a heated jacket liner or vest first (as opposed to gloves) and see if it works with a regular pair of gloves. (you still have to protect against frostbite and windchill). I bought the gloves first and then saw this study. As soon as the ice clears I think I will give it a try.
That was excellent advice Porter and I really appreciate you taking the time for that explanation. I do believe that a heated jacket liner is one thing that I was eventually going to get at some point to keep me warm so when I do get one I will put your theory to the test and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

I got the H-D heated jacket and gloves for Christmas. GREAT items. Went for a ride last night at 25* when I left the house. Only had on a tee shirt under the jacket, though I did have on my bib overalls (waiting for my Desert Dawgs to be delivered on Mon--toes were cold). I was warm the whole time.

Got electric hooked up on my wife's Sporty. She only got gloves for Christmas since we just spent $450 on her leather coat 6 mos. ago. We'll be getting her a liner asap.

Went to the Easy Riders Custom Bike show in Charlotte yesterday (pretty cool bikes there), but had to go in the cage :)cry) since it was 30* when we left and her NOT having her liner yet and me NOT having a dual controller yet (Charlotte is 90 miles from Greensboro).

Porter--I'll be in touch when I head up to Md later this year, Elkridge is my home town. Tracy

Back