free website stats program Do forward controls = long term back problems?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do forward controls = long term back problems??

The thing to keep in mind here is what is going on when you hit bumps. I prefer the mid mount controls on my superglide because I can put pressure on my legs and absorb some of the "hit". I have only test ridden one bike with forwards and hated it! Felt like I was just sitting there taking every hit the road had because i couldn't put any pressure down on my legs. Also someone else mentioned the feeling that the vibrations made my feel feel like they were sliding off the pegs....I got the same feeling.....like I had to keep repositioning my feet after each bump. It's a personal choice and some feel the forwards are more comfortable on their knees and legs than mids but I prefer the mids....feel like I am in more control of the bike.

my 08 softail custom is very comftable,im 6ft 2 work out and have no problems.i had a k100 rs bmw and sometimes on long run i wouild get severe cramp in my thigh muscel.i also got cramp on my 1200 suzuki bandit.i never got cramp on my kawasaki vn1500 vulcan, maybe tall long limbed bikers need to strech more.
p.s 80mph very comfy..........

[ Wacho wrote : The thing to keep in mind here is what is going on when you hit bumps. I prefer the mid mount controls on my superglide because I can put pressure on my legs and absorb some of the "hit" ]

Can't argue with that, but my rear shocks on the Street Bob seem to do that job ok. Makes you wonder how the old rigid frame riders used to take it. I have friends with soft tails that say they are comfortable also. I don't think soft tails really give the "rigid" look though unless you go with a solo seat and have the back fender mounted tight to the tire with the swing arm, then it looks like the real old time rigid choppers.

[ Wacho wrote : The thing to keep in mind here is what is going on when you hit bumps. I prefer the mid mount controls on my superglide because I can put pressure on my legs and absorb some of the "hit" ]

Can't argue with that, but my rear shocks on the Street Bob seem to do that job ok. Makes you wonder how the old rigid frame riders used to take it. I have friends with soft tails that say they are comfortable also. I don't think soft tails really give the "rigid" look though unless you go with a solo seat and have the back fender mounted tight to the tire with the swing arm, then it looks like the real old time rigid choppers.

Rigid Choppers beat me up pretty bad back when I was young:p

Oh by the way, just wondering has anybody ever leaned enough to have their heel stirrups drag ? I haven't but just looking at them I wonder sometimes. Course my wife (on the back) says I am too much of a leaner. I had a dirt bike years ago and I did tend to lean it over quite a bit on the road. Amazingly those tires will hold unless you hit sand. I always keep an eye out for sand, rocks or bumps in the road that will sag you down on a lean. If everything looks good and I can see the whole curve I feel comfortable leaning it over a bit.

Had never read or heard anything on this subject prior to this post. I have forward controls on my softy and also had them on my sportster, very comfortable riding position for me. I had total knee replacements a few years back and the less time they stay in a flexed position the better they feel. I rode my friend's dyna with mids and it was quite uncomfortable, maybe I have just gotten used to forwards--no back problems yet.

Oh by the way, just wondering has anybody ever leaned enough to have their heel stirrups drag ? I haven't but just looking at them I wonder sometimes. Course my wife (on the back) says I am too much of a leaner. I had a dirt bike years ago and I did tend to lean it over quite a bit on the road. Amazingly those tires will hold unless you hit sand. I always keep an eye out for sand, rocks or bumps in the road that will sag you down on a lean. If everything looks good and I can see the whole curve I feel comfortable leaning it over a bit.

I don't have heel stirrups but my heels drag even keeping them tight up against the pegs, I have the 3" extension kit.
My wife doesn't complain but I here a very quiet "whoa":34: every once in a while.
I have my rear shocks adjusted 1 1/4 turns tighter, it rarely bottoms even 2up.
We here the foot boards scraping from other bikes in our group also.

I'm also a dirt vet.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

[ eleft wrote : I don't have heel stirrups but my heels drag even keeping them tight up against the pegs, I have the 3" extension kit. ]

Thanks for the reply dirt vet, I don't think my (HD catalog forwards) extend forward quite as far as the Kuryakyn 3" extenders I've seen, but they both look about the same distance off the pavement and left/right projection. So it would appear you are more of a leaner than me since I don't have any scrape marks on my boots yet.
Love that analogy of the silent whoa. Sometimes I get a tighter squeeze on the kidneys telling me what the (EDIT) Don't really want to make my passenger feel uncomfortable. And at my age I don't won't to be foolish either. But like you and I have found, bikes will lean safely on good road conditions and enough ground clearance on the bike. I don't have the (EDIT) to try it at high speeds though like the road racing teams (least not with a Street Bob). Sometimes when riding solo though I will just lean body only (like the road racers do) and let the bike stay more straight up around the turn. Not real smooth to do it that way with a passenger though.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite frankly mid controls means your LEGS are under you and can press down on the pegs to move the center of gravity lower and midway between the wheels...improving "moment of inertia" in sport handling speak. It also allows legs to absorb bumps and recovery from big shock transitions before your seat and spine take on the rest.

Forward controls also mean your legs have to reach and hopefully you do not ride with your knee locked, as you can bend that hinge joint backwards...over time, not a good thing. Yes, I use forwards and sure wish I got those stirrups, because during long rides I have to move my legs often...5 positions if you count the engine guards on top when I want to stretch out like a LaZboy...

Last edited:
The only problem I see with forward controls is fatigue not long term back problems. With mid controls you have a added device to aid in cornering.

Back