free website stats program Difference between 08 & 09 Ultra | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Difference between 08 & 09 Ultra

A brand-spankin' new Red Hot Sunglow Ultra up from an '05 883...You are gonna be in HEAVEN! I decided to go from an '07 Superglide Custom to an '07 Ultra and the difference was AMAZING. You will NEVER LOOK BACK after riding an Ultra. They definitely are the Mac Daddy of the Harley line. Congrats on the new ride. Be careful with her...that ain't no Sporty you'll be toolin' around on.

Jimharvey: I plan to take it easy with the new ride. I'm not an agressive rider anyway, and even on the Ultra I'll give everyone else the right-of-way. A guy at my church teaches the cycle course at a local college. He has offered riders in my church and local CMA chapter an advanced class for $140 some Saturday. I don't think I would have any problem with the course using the sporty but with the Ultra I'll need a couple of months in the saddle to get use to the extra size and weight. I might have a problem for the first couple of months because of the big smile I know I'll be wearing. I hope my helmet will still fit my head! :D

Yeah, that "figure-8 inside the box" takes on a whole new dimension on the Ultra. Get used to it and you'll be comfortable throwing that weight around and keeping her balanced in no time, but the change from a Sporty to an Ultra is like upgrading from a Kia to a Caddy. Take it slow. Laying an ultra down even at slow speed, or even tipping one on its side at a stop gets very expensive, very quickly!

The advanced rider course is well worth it! You learn more of your limits and the bikes limits. The 09 was definetly the way to go. I have a 99 Roadking and an 09 Streetglide, since I bought the SG I haven't been on the 99. That's how much of a difference there is.:D

Well in my opinion I don't care for the 09's. If you have short legs its going to be a problem as they sit higher than the 08's.

As for the nicer ride. I took one for a test ride and I didn't think it was any better than putting Avons on instead of Dunlops.

Yeah, its got a bigger tire, a little more load carrying cap, frame etc. But that doesn't sell me on it.

Actually, if I were to sell my 08, I would go back in time and buy a harley before they got rid of the timken bearing crank setup, rebuild the engine the way I want it, wheels, tires, paint etc and still be cheaper than an 09 and get exactly what I want.

There are a lot of low mileage older Hogs out there waiting to be had, esp during these trying times

I just wish I would have done that before I bought my 06 too.

Back