free website stats program Difference between 08 & 09 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Difference between 08 & 09 Ultra

Carroll B

Getting ready to step up from my Sportster. Did the demo ride on an 09 Ultra last weekend and I'm hooked. Talked to the one local dealer today and he would only offer $1K off of MSRP and it was not the color I wanted. Last week at the same dealer I was offered $2K off MSRP by a different sales person. Anyway, I have found an 08 Ultra with 87 miles on the clock at another dealer 65 miles away. I hope to look at the 08 tomorow morning if it is still available. Buying this bike would save me over $2K. What are the main differences bewteen the two years? I was told the 09 had cats in the mufflers and was drive by wire. Does the 08 have cats and drive by wire throttle? Any other reason to spend the extra $2k and get the 09 model? Not sure if the 08 has ABS but the dealer today wanted and extra $800 for any bike with ABS. (Was told ABS is factory option only). Is a bike not having ABS enough reason not to buy it?

The 09 is worth the extra money. Different frame, wider tires, new cast spoked wheels, etc. Get on the HD website. 08 are still available to look at and you can compare the upgrades from 08 to 09. But get the color you want or you'll be trading in for a 2010 this Sept. :D

Walt

Thanks for the input. I will look at the 09 and see if it has ABS. The one GM at the dealer I spoke to yesterday strongly recommended I get ABS for safety reasons. I guess when you are dropping $20K and few thousand more won't make a difference. I plan to keep the bike till I am too old to ride it. One problem I'm having since it is so late in the 09 model year is finding one in the color I want. Fortunately there are a dozen dealers within 100 miles but only a couple have the red bikes.

Expand your search to other States,most dealers will offer free shipping,and if they wont ship free,I could give you the names of a couple carriers whose shipping is reasonable.

I had a chance to ride both the 08 and 09 last fall. In my opinion if you can swing the xtra 2k go with the 09...I was in a similar situation with my decision making but once I rode the 09 I was hooked. Good luck with your decision...dont forget either way youll be riding and ultimately that is the key.:bigsmiley14: Have fun.

I would go with the 09, I also think trying to buy close to home, and get a repore going with service, you just never know when you will need thier help,, and if the dealership is the kind of place that care about customers you will be happy over the time you own the bike, Money is not everthing it come and goses

I pulled the trigger on an 09 in Red Hot Sunglow. I got the security system, ABS, aluminum wheels (which is what I wanted). I added the luggage rack on the tour pack, driver's back rest, and a fan that mounts where the horn is now. The guy at the parts counter was great and offered a lot of advice since he drives an Ultra. Told me I could upgrade to the pipes to D&D superboss pipes and along with the SE airfilter and told me I would not have to add the after market fuel module. Said the stock fuel map would work but only with this set of pipes. Said if I just changed the air cleaner to a high flow unit without changing to the D&D pipes I would neat a new fuel map installed. Said I could install the pipes and air cleaner myself and by not buying the fuel module and paying for 4-5 hours of tune time I would save myself about $1000. He took me outside and let me listen to them on his bike. The parts guy ask me if I was ever in the military and I told him 40 years ago I was in the navy. He said great you will get a 10% off on any parts the rest of your life for being in the military.

When you buy from this dealer they take you around to the different depts and you are on a poker run. You draw a card after each introduction in each dept. The hand determines what type of free motor clothes you get. I have drawn 4 cards and will draw the fith when I pick up the bike. Right now I have 2 pair so I should get a nice piece of clothing up to a leather Harley jacket if I can draw the full house.

I haven't yet decided on the extended warranty. It is $609 for the 3rd year or $814 for years 3-4. The bike was on order and should be in by the early next the week. This works out good because it will take me a few days to get the money from my retirement account.

Thanks guys for all the help and advice. Now I not only have the gray hairs to show my years but I'll be driving a geezer guide with a big smile on my face by father's day!

Back