free website stats program Didn't see anyone had posted this yet | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Didn't see anyone had posted this yet

As for the political types they are BOTH corrupted by the quest fro $$$$, "we have the best government money can buy" Will Rogers I think, the only party which truely holds true the constitution in its original form are the Libitarians, but the Repulacrats have such a grip on the process (read $$$$) that it is impossible for any one else to be heard over the PR spin comming from Washington DC.
The only thing that mutes it is the roar of Rolling Thunder, unfortunatly for far to brief a time....

Garrison Keillor and an article about Rolling Thunder:
The roar of hollow patriotism -- Death and Dying, Mary Cassatt, The White House -- chicagotribune.com

amazes me people write stuff like this.......

"Three hundred thousand bikers spent Memorial Day weekend roaring around Washington in tribute to our war dead"

"honking, revving their engines, an endless celebration of internal combustion."

"Somehow a person associates Memorial Day with long moments of silence when you summon up mental images of men huddled together on amphibious assault vehicles and pilots revving up B-24s and infantrymen crouched behind piles of rubble steeling themselves for the next push."

"You don't quite see the connection between that and these fat men with ponytails on Harleys. After hearing a few thousand bikes go by, you think maybe we could airlift these gentlemen to Baghdad to show their support of the troops in a more tangible way."

I have to agree with Keillor....we've lost the real meaning of Memorial Day. jmo

Well thank God for the men and women who went before us....For they have given us the rights to make comment as we feel is correct. Am 62...served in Marines from 63-67. I have been to "Rolling Thunder"...have watched
the parade...visited the Memorials...WW 2...Korean...Vietnam Wall. All very touching Monuments indeed. Yes, as I stood at the wall and laid my hands on my friends names from years gone by...one in particular; as he died in my lap. I recalled with tears the day he was killed...and smiled, as I remembered the times we enjoyed before that day. I sat and recalled the first person life I ended, and cried as I thought... did this man die with a family?...was he missed by his friends? as I miss mine. Then with my wife at my side we walked back to our bike and rode away...silent for sometime. Yes I'm a flag waver...and I indeed enjoy seeing people celebrate they way they choose to. For that am I a bad, and a shallow American...Shallow because I understand what it means to be in harms way. Are is it something else..is it because Rolling Thunder is like, as another said a protest to the way we... as returning vets were treated...as our country turned their backs on our Mia's and Pow's...because this is what Rolling Thunder is all about...We must never let our country do this again. No its not a celebrations of death ..but a protest for those left behind. Is it wrong the way its handled...I for one don't know...but I respect the rights of those who believe its their way to morn..or remember...are what ever there feeling may be...Many of us know no other way to say "Welcome Home" . I have noticed this tread and fought hard within myself not to comment, as I first read it I wanted to throw my computer out the freaking window! Then as I read some of the comments of a few I thought..well maybe...just maybe they are getting the wrong idea what it really all about. So stop and think...you can disagree with "Rolling Thunder"...but please respect the rights of everyone as I respect your right to disagree. If you were inconvenienced for a few minutes..Think about those that have been inconvenienced for the rest of our lives. The nightmare...our families being afraid to wake us...the tears we still shed as we remember..to those of us :most of us still suffer with our thoughts...You will not hear too many of us talk about it...But damn it ! it still hurts us in our mind and hearts...if we want to yell! raise our fist!...are stand in silence...RESPECT US for that...Sorry folks wasn't gonna post on this thread...but some of ya just don't understand. I ride with the PGR...for those who know what that is...then you will understand when i say ...as I talk to the young men, and women who return from the middle east...they say thank you..as if it wasn't for the Vietnam Vets we would not be treated as well as we do upon returning home...To the people who don't know "Rolling Thunder" was started by Vietnam Vets. Nuf said! :42:

Well thank God for the men and women who went before us....For they have given us the rights to make comment as we feel is correct. Am 62...served in Marines from 63-67. I have been to "Rolling Thunder"...have watched
the parade...visited the Memorials...WW 2...Korean...Vietnam Wall. All very touching Monuments indeed. Yes, as I stood at the wall and laid my hands on my friends names from years gone by...one in particular; as he died in my lap. I recalled with tears the day he was killed...and smiled, as I remembered the times we enjoyed before that day. I sat and recalled the first person life I ended, and cried as I thought... did this man die with a family?...was he missed by his friends? as I miss mine. Then with my wife at my side we walked back to our bike and rode away...silent for sometime. Yes I'm a flag waver...and I indeed enjoy seeing people celebrate they way they choose to. For that am I a bad, and a shallow American...Shallow because I understand what it means to be in harms way. Are is it something else..is it because Rolling Thunder is like, as another said a protest to the way we... as returning vets were treated...as our country turned their backs on our Mia's and Pow's...because this is what Rolling Thunder is all about...We must never let our country do this again. No its not a celebrations of death ..but a protest for those left behind. Is it wrong the way its handled...I for one don't know...but I respect the rights of those who believe its their way to morn..or remember...are what ever there feeling may be...Many of us know no other way to say "Welcome Home" . I have noticed this tread and fought hard within myself not to comment, as I first read it I wanted to throw my computer out the freaking window! Then as I read some of the comments of a few I thought..well maybe...just maybe they are getting the wrong idea what it really all about. So stop and think...you can disagree with "Rolling Thunder"...but please respect the rights of everyone as I respect your right to disagree. If you were inconvenienced for a few minutes..Think about those that have been inconvenienced for the rest of our lives. The nightmare...our families being afraid to wake us...the tears we still shed as we remember..to those of us :most of us still suffer with our thoughts...You will not hear too many of us talk about it...But damn it ! it still hurts us in our mind and hearts...if we want to yell! raise our fist!...are stand in silence...RESPECT US for that...Sorry folks wasn't gonna post on this thread...but some of ya just don't understand. I ride with the PGR...for those who know what that is...then you will understand when i say ...as I talk to the young men, and women who return from the middle east...they say thank you..as if it wasn't for the Vietnam Vets we would not be treated as well as we do upon returning home...To the people who don't know "Rolling Thunder" was started by Vietnam Vets. Nuf said! :42:

THANK YOU!! :42:

If you click on and read that piece of crap by Kiellor there is an email address.While my blood was boiling I sent him a critique of his article, I hope some of you do too.

If you click on and read that piece of crap by Kiellor there is an email address.While my blood was boiling I sent him a critique of his article, I hope some of you do too.

Trex...Thanks for the info..I posted my comments there as well. Guess i was so freakin mad the first time I read it I did not realize I could comment there..again Sir thank you for the info.

No problem brother, I was so mad I would have kicked his (edit) if he was standin in front of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back