free website stats program Didn't know how to answer | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Didn't know how to answer

Another reason motorcycles have almost always had a handlebar kill switch is, in an emergency situation nobody wants to let go of the bars! :small3d007:
Ignition switches have been everywhere from the headlight shell to under the tanks, to behind the riders leg.

From my experience ( on an off road bikes), emergency! When the bike is laying on the its side, your leg caught under the rear tire, throttle stuck on, it is very hard to find and/or reach the key. Kill switch!!

I always use it to shut her down. I figure that it is easier to replace an arc'd kill switch than an ignition switch. It does cause a potential risk of leaving the ignition (and lights) on to run down the battery, so I count down the shut down steps: 1: Engine kill, 2: Ignition off, 3: running lights to off (lower the battery load when starting next time), 4: Lock Ignition and forks.

I guess I'm a bit anal, but a shutdown checklist has saved my bacon more than once...

Enjoy,
Rich P

the one think i will say is a HD will Auto shut down if you activate the Bank Angle Sensor - or at the very least my softail did when i laid it down :( Uturn on hills not clever, and still wary to this day, but i still used the Kill switch before picking it up

Yea, and for those that haven't read that part of the owners manual. When the bank angle sensor is activated, the bike won't restart until ign. is switched off/on/off/on. I felt kinda :small3d007: when mine wouldn't start after picking it up.

the one think i will say is a HD will Auto shut down if you activate the Bank Angle Sensor - or at the very least my softail did when i laid it down :( Uturn on hills not clever, and still wary to this day, but i still used the Kill switch before picking it up

HUH???? auto shut down...I just laid my crossbones down 2 weeks ago and it just keep running until I hit the kill button, pick it up and then I started it and rode off the road to check for damage, very little, more on me then it.

Thanks for the off on /off on tip there Breeze, didnt get an owners manual with mine so all that specific stuff like that is learned the hard way.

That's not right - run the codes see if any stored and take it to the dealer as Glider says if you drop it and the BAS work it auto shuts down
WAP.gif

I'll check it out, myself dealer here is a joke, only go there if I really need to, but Thanks guys, of course best thing would be just keep the rubber side down. (someone spilled fuel in a round about and I found it, slow slide:newsmile030:

HUH???? auto shut down...I just laid my crossbones down 2 weeks ago and it just keep running until I hit the kill button, pick it up and then I started it and rode off the road to check for damage, very little, more on me then it.

Interesting. I am curious. Does your turn signals cancel after a banked turn? I am pretty sure a laydown engine kill & signal cancel use the same accelerometer to do both. Just a different firmware angle toggle point.(?)

Back