free website stats program Didn't Cover This at Basic Rider Course!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Didn't Cover This at Basic Rider Course!!

Joe, the paint they use might have a bit of an oil base to it. If so, warmer clime's are going to bring that oil up a little, and you'll feel it while crossing. I'd only be real concerned if it looks to be newer lines painted. As the older "dull" ones are probably completely dried out of any oils. Not to say it won't be slippery as a guarantee... but I'd think they've lost their "slip" in all that time.

But definitely something to just be aware of. I agree.

I work for America's First Super Highway and I have operated the truck that paints the lines. The process is one gun shoots the paint and the other gun next to it sprays the paint with glass beads (to make the lines reflective) The overspray from the glass beads is very slippery as if you were driving on ice making freshly painted lines especially dangerous to ride on.

Also, Most DOT's use a fast drying water based paint like we do.

Last edited:
The rumble strips down the center is becoming a big thing here in Pa too.They are a pain in the............buttox :D

I agree that those center rumble strips are a pain in the butt but I have on numerous occasions had vehicles especially sports cars come by me on my side of the double yellow line and I think the DOT realizes this and they put those rumble strips there so the Yuppies can realize when they are crossing the line.

My $.02 worth

Back