free website stats program Didn't Cover This at Basic Rider Course!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Didn't Cover This at Basic Rider Course!!

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Man, did I learn an important lesson today! Headed up to the local BP (free air) since my tires were reading 4 pounds low each. As I pull up to the hose stand, all I'm really thinking about is leaving a little room to pull forward if needed to get access to the tire stems. What I didn't notice is the pavement has a slight incline down towards the curb and the hose stand and I'm parking 90 degrees to the curb, front tire first. Engine off, ignition off, jiffy stand down time to dismount. As I'm swinging my leg up, I notice the bike moving forward slightly and the jiffy stand moving back to the retract position. YIKES!!
Luckily, I shut it down in gear so it didn't roll far and I noticed it in time to immediately cease the dismount operation and get the bike situated again.

Then came lesson number two. Start her back up, time to leave - oops - didn't leave enough room to turn left or right because of the damn curb - well, I'll just roll her back enough to make room. Let me tell you - a Street Glide weighs a ton when your trying to roll her backwards, UPHILL! My legs are gonna be sore tomorrow!

Sometimes I feel so dumb! If this helps anyone at anytime I feel like I've contributed to the betterment of society!

Hey Doc --- not being dumb,just the "learning curve" of owning a scoot no matter how long you been ridin' At least it did not dump over!!! Stay safe!

Amen to R.Lewis' statement!! Not only would dumping it over be pure h-e-double hockey sticks to pick back up, just think of the embarrassment factor!!

YES SIR --- pickin it up by yourself while people stare,strainin your *&& ! The scratches,the dings, the busted mirror,the bent brake handle!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! :bigsmiley32:

Sorry!! was having a daytime "nightmare" there!!!

Doc,
You will learn to "read" parking spots before pulling into them. I always try to avoid getting into any situation where I can't ride out forward, even if it means backing into the slot in the first place. As for the side stand, the thing will move only so far and then stop provided the weight of the bike is on it. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened too. I think somebody at Harley designed it that way on purpose. Adds to the thrill of riding a Harley or something. What I do now is keep my left foot on the stand to hold it forward and let the bike down. It may still roll forward a little but now I know the stand is locked.

Glad you made your decision. Try to not have too much fun on that thing.

Storm

Man, did I learn an important lesson today! Headed up to the local BP

Oh man ...Got lots of them stories...lol Like pulling into my garage. Wife getting off the bike and sitting something in the bass boat...I had just clean out the boat so i wanted to see what she was doing...I got off the bike ...walked to the boat...and Bam ! bike hit me in the back of the legs and took me out....forgot to put down the jiffy stand...Maybe we need to start a thread of funnest stories about your Harley...:D

The first Saturday after I got my bike I put crash bars on.
I hated spending a $150.00 (Sale Price) on them. But an hour after I put them on I was backing the bike into my garage and lost balance. The bike went down and I was very glad I spent that $150.00. Not only did the crash bar keep the bike from going all the way down. It gave me something to left it back up with. I know some don't like the looks of them. Put I think
sometimes function is more important than looks.

I pulled in front of the house,the wife crawled off , I took a stab at the jiffy stand and thought it was down. well guess what, it wasn't all the way down. Luckily I didn't mark the bike up because I keep the footpegs so they won't fold up without effort. It fell over and balanced on the three pegs The rider, passenger,and an extra set put up high on the fender strut right behind the oil tank. I wasn't happy but I stood her back up and after inspecting her calmed down a bit. We all do stupid stuff lets just hope all our mistakes are in the parking lot and not out on the open road.

Last edited:
I pulled in front of the house,the wife crawled off , I took a stab at the jiffy stand and thought it was down. well guess what, it wasn't all the way down. Luckily I didn't mark the bike up because I keep the footpegs so they won't fold up without effort. It fell over and balanced on the three pegs The rider, passenger,and what my wife calls the (edited) pegs.( an extra set put up high on the fender strut right behind the oil tank). I wasn't happy but I stood her back up and after inspecting her calmed down a bit. We all do stupid stuff lets just hope all our mistakes are in the parking lot and not out on the open road.

Exactly - I can deal with the embarassment of anything that happens at 0 MPH! Much faster than that and you move from embarassment to outright pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first Saturday after I got my bike I put crash bars on.I hated spending a $150.00 (Sale Price) on them. But an hour after I put them on I was backing the bike into my garage and lost balance. The bike went down and I was very glad I spent that $150.00. Not only did the crash bar keep the bike from going all the way down. It gave me something to left it back up with. I know some don't like the looks of them. Put I think
sometimes function is more important than looks.

Do we have to refer to them as such? I much prefer "engine guards." Not that I believe in self fulfilling prophecies or anything. Damn, I know that's not spelled right. Still working on my first cup of coffee!

Back