free website stats program Did I make the right decision? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Did I make the right decision?

Welcome to the site! I have never bought a car or a bike with the idea of resale value in mind...Heck, my '73 Olds Omega was cherry and I could have gotten a few bucks for it, but all I heard from anyone was that it wasn't a Nova. I owned it for over 30 years, had many bucks into it, when I passed it on to my oldest son. Get the bike YOU like. Don't wish for the 2010 if you get the 2007 or vice-versa or even beat yourself to death if you find you could have gotten a better deal after the fact. Heck, I found my 2000 Fatboy in a local hock shop! Imagine that poor guy that had to sell his bike there to keep his restaurant open. With this up and down economy, that is likely to be unstable for years to come, most will never get back what they pay for and put into a bike on resale. Well, I've rambled on, sorry. All these other guys have passed on a lot of good advice and this is just my 2 cents worth!

A great time to buy, you will know if it is right for you:s

My dealer here has a big selection of used bikes they are willing to let you test drive. Ride the bike you are looking at on their dime and make sure its what you want.
I opted for a new FLHT last year and while it has been good to me I always kinda think the radio on the streetglide sure would be cool.
BTW you can ride the Standard fairly aggressively but it will never feel like a bike 700 pounds lighter making more hp.
I don't regret the purchase but the "garage queen" low mile bike sure would have saved me some money.

Welcome to the site and enjoy your new ride.
I bought a used 2007 UC and love it.
I remember a quote from Smitty on this site and I will paraphrase:
Harleys are not an investemt, they are a luxury.

Enjoy it! We all are, no reason you shouldn't as well.
(Plus, as potentially "chromed out" as you say the new ride is, I don't know anyone that can resist customizing a little!)

..... I wouldn't buy a bike with the ABS. I like to be able to control the brakes as I want to and not how the bike wants to. I wouldn't have them in my car if I had the choice......

I am of the other school of thought and prefer ABS brakes. Here's why:

I had to do some emergency braking today because a fool wasn't paying attention and made a left turn directly in front of me. I had to hit the brakes hard and turn left to avoid hitting the rear quarter of the car. My rear brake locked up and started to fish tail opposite the turn. I had to quickly turn in the direction of the skid to keep the bike up right. I believe the bike would have performed better with anti-lock brakes.

You have my vote for the ABS option and say go for it and good luck!:s

First let me say that I typed a lenghty (probably too much so) response the day after my original post, but when I hit submit, the site kicked me out... LOL.

Thanks for all of the responses. I picked up my 2007 SE RK on Tuesday evening and I couldn't be happier. It's a great bike. I spent 4 hours at the local dealership the following morning having and inspection done, as well as all of the fluids drained and of course refilled. Even with less than 4k miles on it, I just wanted to start fresh with everything. Let me also say that at $120 and oil change, i'll be changing my own oil from here on out, just on principle alone.

I told my wife that I now know why I sold my last bike (a mistake). Riding a motorcycle can be such an inconvenience. You have to make sure the bike is clean, put on your gear, leave most every comfort feature from your car behind, and hope that it doesn't rain. It's hot outside, you get sunburned, and sitting in traffic in 100 degree Texas weather isn't fun. If you let your bike sit for too long without riding it, you forget how easily these inconveniences fade from memory when you crack the throttle open and hit the road. Let's hope I never make that mistake again.

One way or the other I made the right decision becuase I'm riding again. I forgot that being a motorcyclist is part of who I am. It's not what you ride, it's about the experience. Being lucky enough to have a Harley just makes it that much better. I am already thinking about adding another bike to the stable in the future. Something older and sportier, maybe a Monster or something...but we'll see. Well, I am about to go for a little ride, so I'll post some pics later. Thanks again folks!

You have to make sure the bike is clean

I didn't realize that was a requirement :) Usually only once a month or so, but I do get tired of looking at the bugs on the windshield. A quick pledge once a week makes this a lot easier, takes me about 5 min just to shine her up when I feel the urge, but never a requirement.

Well, congrats on the new ride, and welcome back. Just enjoy it and all the fun that goes along with it.

have fun;; be safe ;; don't worry about clean, just ride...................................

Back