free website stats program Diagnostic codes for 2003 Road King? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Diagnostic codes for 2003 Road King?

A female crimp on spade connector works real nice for jumping the pins. You may need to squeeze the spades with a pair of pliers to make the connection snug.

I'm getting desperate guys. I think I got the jumper wires to work, but all that keeps coming up is an 88 code.

Is this real? Can someone tell me what a 88 means? I'm not sure I believe the number but that's all that flashes. I called a dealer and they said the code doesn't exist. I did the test a half dozen times and the same thing happens over and over.

Anybody know what this means?

I'm getting desperate guys. I think I got the jumper wires to work, but all that keeps coming up is an 88 code.

Is this real? Can someone tell me what a 88 means? I'm not sure I believe the number but that's all that flashes. I called a dealer and they said the code doesn't exist. I did the test a half dozen times and the same thing happens over and over.

Anybody know what this means?

88 Historic 23 Front injector high , have you tried a wiggle test on the injector wire/

I think that the 88 code is just showing it in the Diagn. mode. If that is all you are getting then I would say have No codes. After further looking pins 1 & 2 should be shorted on the Data Link. They should be marked on one end or the other of the plug. The code Historic 23 that Jack refers to shouldn't apply to you, you said yours is Carb'ed.
tourbox

tourbox,

Correct, I have carb., no way to wiggle the test wire on the injector.

I'm not sure what you mean by test wire should be shorted.

03 carbs have an onboard diagnostic check, when/if everything checks out, the engine lamp goes off. Everything on the bike (electronically) works great, just like it should. I just don't have any spark. Not even with a different set of plugs. I have even check all wire connections just in case there was a broken wire in the harness. They all check out.

tourbox,

Correct, I have carb., no way to wiggle the test wire on the injector.

I'm not sure what you mean by test wire should be shorted.

03 carbs have an onboard diagnostic check, when/if everything checks out, the engine lamp goes off. Everything on the bike (electronically) works great, just like it should. I just don't have any spark. Not even with a different set of plugs. I have even check all wire connections just in case there was a broken wire in the harness. They all check out.

My 2003 does the same 88 as you are experiencing. I've always written it off as nothing. Have you tried the Crank position sensor?

tourbox,

I think I can do this, not sure why it's DC and AC but fare enough. DC it is.

I have the wiring diagram (hard to read that stuff with my eyes) and it should be simple enough (famous last words). I don't remember seeing a CKP connector but I'll look again. The connector to the IGN module is simple enough.

Any idea how much voltage I should be reading?

You should test for DC. The only AC output I know of is from the Stator.
You also have a built in Bank Angle Sensor(BAS) which is part of the Turn Signal Module(TSM) or Turn Signal Security Module(TSSM). Depending on you having Security on the bike or not. The BAS turns the ignition OFF if the the bike tilts over more than 35-45 degs. Once the bike is returned upright or on kick stand, with the Ign. switch Off for approx. 10-20 sec. it will reset. However if your TSM/or TSSM isn't mounted properly on the bike it could be causing your problem,ie unit not level with a broken mounting screw. On an '02 it is located to the rear of the Battery
Do you have a Manual? I don't recall with out re-reading all the post.
tourbox

Back